Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Story of a scam: scam involving "overpayment" and request for return of difference
Thread poster: Javier Wasserzug

Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 20, 2011

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 1:08 AM, wrote:

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Mark [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 82.128.2.109
Hello,
A reputable translator is needed to translate document from English to Spanish language. Should you be interested contact me so i can let you know the job details.
Regards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Mark Rodwell
Sent at 3:06 AM (UTC). Current time there: 2:46 PM. ✆
Hello ,
Thank you for your urgent respond to my request.looking for a translator to work on the pair stated for the new book am working on.I have checked your Profile and i am pleased to tell you that i have chosen you to work on the project for we are in-between a new business that will require us to write out in Spanish. I attached a sample of the work tittles project, just want you to have understanding of what we are about to do together.

I am a Private investor, i work on short time business still working on strong capital but we all start somewhere.

My address is ..
6200 Pawtucket Lane 39G
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48301

Now i guess you have an idea of the Man you about to start work with, attached is a sample. The delivery date is negotiable but i prefer to have the job done by May 29th, 2011.I think this project is not as big for the time range given, that is because i plan ahead of time.

Kindly state out the bellow information...

Your best price should be restated and total calculation.
categorically state your city and country of residence?
Your Method of payment?

I hope we can come to term for success of this project.
Best regards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from Mark Rodwell
Sent at 4:31 AM (UTC). Current time there: 2:48 PM.
date Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:31 AM
subject PAYMENT TO DELIVER FOR YOU TODAY
mailed-by hotmail.com

Hello,
I am glad to let you know that payment will deliver to the your address today via ups courier service with the above tracking number (1ZE5F7950193873968) but the there is error on the payment. my client mistakenly sent out what she suppose to sent to her publisher to you. she sent $1,880. instead of sending you just $500.you are to cash the check today deduct your money and have the remaining balance sent to her publisher via western union money transfer as soon as possible. Bellow is the publisher information....

RECEIVER'S NAME: JAMES NELSON
ADDRESS: 8/16 Plot 101 Sheikh Rashid Road
CITY: DUBAI
STATE: DUBAI

As soon as you transfer the fund via western union money transfer, Get back to me with the transfer details such as..
western union control number
Amount sent
Charges and full sender's name
We be waiting to read back from you soonest.
Regards.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from Mark Rodwell
Sent at 1:22 AM (UTC). Current time there: 2:56 PM. ✆
date Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 1:22 AM
subject Your urgent response is needed
mailed-by hotmail.com

Hello,
I sent you an email yesterday concerning the payment of the translation job you doing for us. payment was sent and deliver via ups courier service and the payment was left at Porch . Do confirm this and read carefully my previous mail which was sent yesterday and get back to me on time. Thanking you in advance for you trust.
Regards.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

NOTES

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2011-04-20 15:17 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Old story... Apr 20, 2011

Old stuff, hope you did not fall for it!

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Business in Lagos Apr 20, 2011

I sometimes wonder how legitimate businesses in Lagos manage to work with anyone outside of Nigeria. Does anyone have experience of working with a Nigerian company that was not a scam?

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
YES Apr 20, 2011

I know a guy at work who did some legitimate business in Nigeria; diamonds and a few automatic weapons.
(just in case: it's a joke)

[Edited at 2011-04-20 18:52 GMT]

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NO, I did not Apr 20, 2011

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons) wrote:

Old stuff, hope you did not fall for it!

It was the first time, I was very curious.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
The funny thing about these people is... Apr 20, 2011

...they consider us to be at their same level, i.e. as ignorant and unaware as they are. Generally speaking, translators, even if not being the best business people around, are usually not that ignorant and unaware...

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
me too Apr 21, 2011

I received a very analogous proposal with a text about bar business;

this ended with fake traveller's checks (overpaiement) and I was supposed to return the difference by Western Union, of course I didn't.

asresses in Hungary and in Spain.

be careful

Marie

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe you gave me the answer Apr 21, 2011

The funny thing about these people is...
...they consider us to be at their same level, i.e. as ignorant and unaware as they are. Generally speaking, translators, even if not being the best business people around, are usually not that ignorant and unaware...

I always wondered why these people include "Dr.", "Prof.", "Mrs." in their signatures, or write "My name is Professor Xnabo Mgabwa".

Maybe they are so ignorant that they've never actually seen a professor, doctor, whatever, and tend to think that such titles bestow some semigodlike attributes upon their holders.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Money order (fake) May 3, 2011

[Edited at 2011-05-03 02:25 GMT]

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Italian to English
Rub circle May 3, 2011

It says "To authenticate rub circle". Just out of interest, what happens if you do?!

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:54
French to English
Generally, perhaps... May 3, 2011

Generally speaking, translators, even if not being the best business people around, are usually not that ignorant and unaware...

... you're right. But I'm sure I've seen a thread this year started by someone who was overpaid by a scammer and wondering how best to proceed (I'm not going to search to link to it, because a) I see no need to further embarrass the person and b) it might not have actually been on proz). This year. How long have these scams been running? It almost defies belief.....And yet you only have to keep a vague eye on kudoz to see the kind of gaps in some people's knowledge about things that you or I might think utterly obvious and known to absolutely everyone in the universe. Which only goes to show my final point - scammers still do this because it still works. There's one born every minute, as the saying goes...

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 16:54
SITE STAFF
This is a classic scam May 3, 2011

You can read about this and other scams at the ProZ.com wiki page Detecting and reacting to false job offers and other scams

Regards,
Enrique

Maja Petrovska  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:54
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Repeated scam e-mail May 17, 2011

Hi everyone,
This is a repeated scam e-mail that's been going on for at least a year. The scammer changes his "location" in the e-mail based on the location of the translator(s) he approaches, but is stupid enough to leave the address the same. Below is the e-mail:

"Hello ,
Thank you for your urgent respond to my request.looking for a translator to work on the pair stated for the new book am working on.I have checked your Profile and i am pleased to tell you that i have chosen you to work on the project for we are in-between a new business that will require us to write out in Macedonia. I attached part of the project, just want you to have understanding of what we are about to do together.

I am a Private investor, i work on short time business still working on strong capital but we all start somewhere.

My address is ..
6200 Pawtucket Lane
Québec,Canada
H2A 3J3.

Now i guess you have an idea of the Man you about to start work with, attached is a sample. The delivery date is negotiable but i prefer to have the job done by June 29th, 2011.I think this project is not as big for the time range given, that is because i plan ahead of time.

Kindly state out the bellow information...

Your best price should be restated and total calculation.
categorically state your city and country of residence?
Your Method of payment?

I hope we can come to term for success of this project.
Best regards."

EDITH NKWOCHA  Identity Verified
Andorra
English
+ ...
Does anyone have experience of working with a Nigerian company that was not a scam? Jul 10, 2011

John Rawlins wrote:

I sometimes wonder how legitimate businesses in Lagos manage to work with anyone outside of Nigeria. Does anyone have experience of working with a Nigerian company that was not a scam?

Hello,

In answer to your question: Yes.

I am Nigerian, a member of Proz, and have also lived and worked in Nigeria. I can assure you that inspite of these numerous scam offers, to which even we Nigerians sometimes fall victim, there are MANY Nigerian companies, operating in Nigeria, which conduct themselves professionally and respectably.

I am one of the few Nigerians on Proz, which made me privy to this discussion, and I felt the need to add some balance and perspective to the discussion.

Obi Udeariry  Identity Verified
Nigeria
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Never judge the many by the few.. Jul 11, 2011

In the same way that the Nazis did not stand for the mass of the Geman population, or the Taliban for the Afghans or Pol Pot's killers for Cambodians, let's not allow a few scammers to ruin things for a lot of decent, hardworking men and women out there in Nigeria, many of whom are engaged in international business like me.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Story of a scam: scam involving "overpayment" and request for return of difference

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search