Some tools for detecting scams and risk management
Thread poster: Jared Tabor

Jared Tabor
Local time: 10:14
SITE STAFF
May 3, 2011

The Translator scam alert center is an area that will be used to provide organized, concise information regarding false job offers and other scams which may be aimed at or are affecting language professionals. Information provided in the center is based in part on reports made by ProZ.com members through the online support system and in the Scams forum. Scams are categorized by type and the outstanding characteristics of each are outlined, to make detection easier. General information on detecting and reacting to a potential scam is also included. ProZ.com members have the option of subscribing to the Scam alert center, to receive useful news and alerts of new scams as soon as they are detected.

There have been a few posts on the Translator T.O. regarding different types of scams and risk management as a way to protect yourself from them. I will post links to them here for easier reference from this forum, and keep them updated as future posts get added.

Remember there is also a ProZ.com Wiki article, Detecting and reacting to false job offers and other scams, where translators can collaborate. If you have information to add to that article which may help others detect and react to false job offers and other scams, please contribute!

Direct link Reply with quote

liviu roth
United States
Local time: 09:14
Romanian to English
+ ...
Excellent & helpful post Aug 1, 2011

I wonder why some of our colleagues did not read this post first before taking unwise actions.
I agree 100% with this tip:
"What to do if contacted by a scammer? The best you can do when you detect or suspect a scam is to ignore the messages. Answering the message, even to insult them or try to outsmart them will at the very least let the villain know that your email address is active and all the more valuable for spamming." (Enrique Cavalitto )
In the last 2 years, I have been translating legal documents for a US governmental agency that tracks and brings to justice these international crooks, and I realized
that all they want is a confirmation that the e-mail is valid and active in order to flood it with spam, malware, scareware, or for phishing purposes.
Our colleagues should use more caution when they receive these kind of e-mails.
This is the reason why some of us post these "offers" in order to alert the whole community; unfortunately, some of us take it very lightly.

Stéphanie Denton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
French to English
+ ...
Thank you Nov 8, 2011

Much appreciated, and fantastic post!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:14
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you, Jared. Jun 25, 2012

This is an excellent post and will help all of us to fall victim to scams and fraud.

On a side note: I find the scam alerts from Enrique to be very helpful.

Thanks for the ongoing vigilance and protection!

Regards,
Thayenga

Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:14
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
New article on scammers who steal translations Jul 5, 2012

Dear members,

As the first issue of ProZ.com series on Risk Management, a ProZ.com article has been published on Scammers who steal translations.

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some tools for detecting scams and risk management

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search