Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 9, 2011

Dear colleagues and nevertheless friends:

I have just received a very fishy proposal. Please read the messages below (personal information ommited). To me this looks like scam or money laundering. Be vigilant!

The original message:

-----------
You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Just a first name
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: nn.nn.nn.nn
-----------

I would like a quote to translate this blog below to
Spanish:

www.name of a blog about boat motors.blogspot.com

2 weeks deadline.
I have a budget of $200 to $250.
Thank you for responding
kindly add me to yahoo messenger so we can chat as well.

My reply:

Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for your message.
Although I would be more than happy to examine this matter in more detail, given that you are in the US and will probably want to sell your products in the American market, may I suggest that you look for an US-based Spanish translator?

The fishy part, his reply:

Thank you very much for the quick response.
That was very professional.
The Motors also would be sold in Spain and internationally,so it is not necessarily US based spanish.
I really need someone in Spain.
I am in Africa and design blogs, freelance though.
I got someone who needs one in Translated to Spanish.
I have charged a total of $1,800 for the design job.
I have a budget of $200 to $300 for the translation job.
But i have a little problem about payment here.
He has opted to pay by paypal and that does not work here.
The blog to be translated is www.name of the blog.blogspot.com
So i would like to solicit for your help here in assisting me in receiving the total of $1800 and deduct $200 for your quote and further job i would send you in the future,and send me the balance.
Kindly get back to me now with your paypal id if this arrangement can be done by you.
So i can instruct him to forward payment to you now.
Thank you for your anticipated help and co-operation.
Regards
First name and surname

Fishy fishy!!

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam Jun 9, 2011

Tomas,

I got the same message and the same reply.

I just deleted it and blocked that IP addresss in my Proz notifications area and reported this sender to Proz as scam.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed! Jun 9, 2011

Walter Landesman wrote:
I got the same message and the same reply.
I just deleted it and blocked that IP addresss in my Proz notifications area and reported this sender to Proz as scam.

Indeed. I forgot to do that. Just did though! Thanks my friend!

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
De nada. Jun 9, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Indeed. I forgot to do that. Just did though! Thanks my friend!

U R welcome!

Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:42
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...
OT: blocking IP addresses Jun 10, 2011

This is totally off topic, but I think I need to mention this: Blocking IP addresses, in this day and age, is usually an exercise in both futility and counter-productiveness.

The reason is that most people are given random IP addresses, sometimes several random IP addresses per day. This means:

1. Blocking an IP will not block the scammer because he/she will probably get a new IP address in at most a few days anyways
2. It will also almost certainly block
... See more
This is totally off topic, but I think I need to mention this: Blocking IP addresses, in this day and age, is usually an exercise in both futility and counter-productiveness.

The reason is that most people are given random IP addresses, sometimes several random IP addresses per day. This means:

1. Blocking an IP will not block the scammer because he/she will probably get a new IP address in at most a few days anyways
2. It will also almost certainly block an innocent person (or several innocent persons) who might happen to have a legitimate reason to email you.

PS: There’s also the chance that the IP is the address of a NAT gateway, in which case blocking that specific IP will block everyone behind the same NAT gateway. If that happens to be a public library, university, or similar… I don’t think you want that.

[Edited for typo and postscript]

[Edited at 2011-06-10 06:19 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed I thought about it Jun 10, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:
2. It will also almost certainly block an innocent person (or several innocent persons) who might happen to have a legitimate reason to email you.

Before I "blocked the IP address", I checked where it was. Lagos, Nigeria. I can assure you I am not at all interested in any kind of communications from Nigeria in general, given my language pairs.

By asking Proz.com to "block the IP address" for us, we are simply asking them not to accept Proz.com email coming from the address. We are not restricting anybody's rights or access, as far as I am aware.

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Fishy Jun 11, 2011

You can not be sure, but yes, it does sound very fishy.

I have never received anything like this through ProZ but get them all the time through other channels. They often start "FROM THE DESK OF DR. so-and-so" and have some mention of either Burkina Faso or Nigeria. The story usually involves someone who dies (one time it's a plane crash, another time it's cancer etc), and usually the person can not get the money for some family feud or other similar reason. Although none of these e
... See more
You can not be sure, but yes, it does sound very fishy.

I have never received anything like this through ProZ but get them all the time through other channels. They often start "FROM THE DESK OF DR. so-and-so" and have some mention of either Burkina Faso or Nigeria. The story usually involves someone who dies (one time it's a plane crash, another time it's cancer etc), and usually the person can not get the money for some family feud or other similar reason. Although none of these elements are present here, the mention of "money transfer" sets the alarm lights flashing.

I would just press DELETE now.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam: "blog designer" in Africa asking for help moving money

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search