Spot the scam: an educational example
Thread poster: Neil Coffey

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:52
French to English
+ ...
Aug 6, 2011

It's a reasonably regular topic here, but I thought I'd highlight this real-life example as educational practice. See how many "telltale" signs you can spot:

http://french-linguistics-dev.blogspot.com/2011/08/spot-scam.html

Direct link Reply with quote

Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
0.50 Euro/wd Aug 6, 2011

Wow! Half a Euro per word! Where do I sign up?

Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Easy Aug 6, 2011

The example has far more than the usual number of telltale signs. It's overflowing with them. I don't feel like counting them. I've seen scams where I had to look long and hard for a red flag (but eventually found it).

xxxkalap
This is fun Aug 6, 2011

Irealistic project to be translated by a freelance translator into several languages, without project details and company data, plus typing and grammar errors and an address in Nigeria.
14 or 15 red flags (posting this on a Saturday might be right).

Remember: scams always contain flattery and exaggerations, this is part of the scammers' culture: big is beautiful and more credible. Translators are called Doctors or Dear Friends, projects always have several hundreds of thousands of words, payment will be soon and promises are sky-high.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spot the scam: an educational example

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search