Klementina Shahini
Klementina Shahini
United States
Local time: 22:26
Member (2009)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Aug 28, 2011

I received two different e-mails in two different days from people who are proz users. The first one is asking me to translate 700 words document saying that she will pay me when she gets back to the United States by giving me the word. Do I have to trust her?
The second one is asking me for 2 500 euro desperately needed from her side saying and promising that she will pay me back when she gets out of the situation she is in.She stated in her e-mail that she is outside the country and mi
... See more
I received two different e-mails in two different days from people who are proz users. The first one is asking me to translate 700 words document saying that she will pay me when she gets back to the United States by giving me the word. Do I have to trust her?
The second one is asking me for 2 500 euro desperately needed from her side saying and promising that she will pay me back when she gets out of the situation she is in.She stated in her e-mail that she is outside the country and misplaced her wallet. As a matter of fact, the second one comes from my language pair translators. Is it normal or scam? Any ideas, suggestion or advice?r
Please, advice.

Thank you,

Klemi
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:26
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
simple answer Aug 28, 2011

Klemi wrote:

The second one is asking me for 2 500 euro desperately needed from her side saying and promising that she will pay me back when she gets out of the situation she is in.She stated in her e-mail that she is outside the country and misplaced her wallet. As a matter of fact, the second one comes from my language pair translators. Is it normal or scam? Any ideas, suggestion or advice?r
Please, advice.

Thank you,

Klemi

And she doesn't have any family or friends to ask for help? just you? Would you lend me 2 500 Euro if I asked you to? oh please
I think you should report it to proz staff as a scam.
Ewa

Faruk Atabeyli
Faruk Atabeyli  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:26
English to Turkish
+ ...
At least the second one is Aug 28, 2011

I am not sure about the first one but the second one is a case of hijacked e-mail address. Do not send any money and let the person know about it, she may want to send a warning message out.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The second one is a scam for sure Aug 28, 2011

I had the same once pretending to be my landord...

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 02:26
Japanese to English
Be very careful Aug 29, 2011

Klemi wrote:

The first one may be a scam. I strongly advise you to turn the job down unless she can cough up the whole amount up front. A 700-word document will only set her back about $100 or so. She has no excuse.

The second one is a scam, no question.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Please, oh please... Aug 29, 2011

Send me 2,500 euros, I'll pay you back when I can. You can trust me.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Well... Aug 29, 2011

Klemi wrote:

Please, advice.

Thank you,

Klemi

Tell the first one: "Ever heard about Paypal?". No need to come back to the US (or anywhere else in the world) to pay somebody, nowadays.

Tell the second one the same thing. Or better, just ignore both of them.

I would not give a penny to anybody, not even to Jesus Christ if He sent me an e-mail telling me that one of the 2 thieves around him took his wallet...

[Modificato alle 2011-08-29 01:59 GMT]

Nadica Gjosevska
Nadica Gjosevska  Identity Verified
North Macedonia
Member (2009)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It looks like scam Aug 29, 2011

Klemi wrote:

..."As a matter of fact, the second one comes from my language pair translators. Is it normal or scam? Any ideas, suggestion or advice?r
Please, advice.

Thank you,

Klemi

The fact that it comes from your language pair does not mean that it is not a scam.
I received messages from people that I know, saying that they desperately need money etc... - very similar text , and actually those people had never written the me
... See more
Klemi wrote:

..."As a matter of fact, the second one comes from my language pair translators. Is it normal or scam? Any ideas, suggestion or advice?r
Please, advice.

Thank you,

Klemi

The fact that it comes from your language pair does not mean that it is not a scam.
I received messages from people that I know, saying that they desperately need money etc... - very similar text , and actually those people had never written the messages.
There was a similar scam sent to EFL teachers in my country.
Regards,
Nadica
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Second one is scam, BIG doubts about the first one too Aug 29, 2011

It just surprises me that you have the tiniest doubt about the nature of the request. Your doubts clearly state that you are a good person, but good people should keep their good deeds for the people they know first-hand. There is always someone in need around you.

Forget about any requests from people you don't know anything about, since chances are that you will be disappointed, and dissappointment is something good people must protect themselves from: the world is in dire need of
... See more
It just surprises me that you have the tiniest doubt about the nature of the request. Your doubts clearly state that you are a good person, but good people should keep their good deeds for the people they know first-hand. There is always someone in need around you.

Forget about any requests from people you don't know anything about, since chances are that you will be disappointed, and dissappointment is something good people must protect themselves from: the world is in dire need of good people!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »