Passport copy
Thread poster: Dragana T

Dragana T
Local time: 21:49
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2011

I'd like to ask you does it safe to send via email a copy of your passport to a foreign translation agency that you haven't worked for before?

Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Why to do so?! Sep 1, 2011

Dear Dragana,

Hope you are doing well!

Actually during 8 years of working as a freelancer, I have never faced such a situation in which a company asks for a copy of passport!

There is no reason to do so!

You may wait for other colleagues' posts but no safety is guaranteed on the net!

best,

Farzad

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
. Sep 2, 2011

I think we've debated this once or twice before. It's probably not a scam, just unnecessary bureaucracy, and I would politely refuse.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Agree Sep 2, 2011

philgoddard wrote:

I think we've debated this once or twice before. It's probably not a scam, just unnecessary bureaucracy, and I would politely refuse.

One of those really unnecessary requests made by agencies.

I bet that no PM or agency owner will EVER post in this forum or in similar ones to explain ANY of their internal procedures and to open them to debate.

[Edited at 2011-09-02 18:13 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never!!! Sep 2, 2011

Never send your passport to any company over the Internet, unless you have been working for them for some time in sizeable jobs... and they have been paying you.

If they say that they cannot give you work or cannot pay you without the passport... forget about them!icon_smile.gif

Dragana T
Macedonian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 3, 2011

Thank you for your advice! They were very helpful. I agree with all of you.

Best regards,
Dragana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passport copy

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search