Fraud
Thread poster: Leonie Lalancette
Leonie Lalancette
Leonie Lalancette  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
English to French
Oct 7, 2011

Hello fellow translators,

I got in touch with a client for a contrat recently, on this very professional website, and it ended to be a fraud. He sent me by mistake money for the writer and wanted me to send it to the writer in Spain, by Western Union. I ended up getting a paypal account and send it by paypal, but luckily it was cancelled by my bank account. A lot of think were weird (is field of work and the field of translation, for a first). He looked professional too, but
... See more
Hello fellow translators,

I got in touch with a client for a contrat recently, on this very professional website, and it ended to be a fraud. He sent me by mistake money for the writer and wanted me to send it to the writer in Spain, by Western Union. I ended up getting a paypal account and send it by paypal, but luckily it was cancelled by my bank account. A lot of think were weird (is field of work and the field of translation, for a first). He looked professional too, but ended up loosing it when I told him I doubted him.

Be careful translator!

A fellow freelancer,

LĂ©onie Lalancette

Here are the information I have on the client:

Am in properties and also construction, WVS properties is the name of my company,i work on short time business and financing is my major.

My business address is as follow..

11 Romero Lane
Los Lunas
New Mexico
87031, Us
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:01
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

ProZWiki on avoiding scams Oct 7, 2011

You may find the following article helpful:

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Detecting_and_reacting_to_false_job_offers_and_other_scams

Gad Kohenov
Gad Kohenov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:01
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Hello Oct 7, 2011

At least the place he mentions does exist. Los Lunas, New Mexico.
I travelled in New Mexico and was told it's Los Lunas and not Las Lunas because it is a name of a family. Las Lunas would be "The Moons".
You better check in the Blue Board of Proz before getting into contact with clients. If there is no Blue Board entry you are already taking a risk.

G.K.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 09:01
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Checking... Oct 7, 2011

Gad Kohenov wrote:

You better check in the Blue Board of Proz before getting into contact with clients. If there is no Blue Board entry you are already taking a risk.

Yes, it's a good start... the only trouble is, of course, there are outsourcers out there who simply aren't registered at ProZ.com; hard enough to check up on those.

Still, I've never had any trouble checking the credentials of bona fide customers, who've been only too happy to confirm any details I've requested; the only people who've been reticent have undoubtedly been scammers.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:01
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
"Us" Oct 7, 2011

No American would write "Us" in any address, it's "USA".

It is possible that someone stole the address from the existing Blue Board profile, it happens.

Here is the BB entry:

http://bel.proz.com/blueboard/35158#

Edited for typo

[Edited at 2011-10-07 18:36 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:01
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Here is an example Oct 7, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:
It is possible that someone stole the address from the existing Blue Board profile, it happens.

Today in our forum:

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/209374-corporate_identity_theft_what_do_i_do.html

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:01
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A definite Scam Oct 8, 2011

Last month I quoted on a job post here on ProZ. My quote was accepted and the client provided me with details about the job and himself.

He gave me his full name and stated that he lived in Germany, but was, at that time, residing in Spain. This, within itself, is not necessarily alarming. However, and since he had no Blue Board entry, when I checked the local phone book for his name - which did indeed exist - I discovered that the name and address provided by him didn't match.
... See more
Last month I quoted on a job post here on ProZ. My quote was accepted and the client provided me with details about the job and himself.

He gave me his full name and stated that he lived in Germany, but was, at that time, residing in Spain. This, within itself, is not necessarily alarming. However, and since he had no Blue Board entry, when I checked the local phone book for his name - which did indeed exist - I discovered that the name and address provided by him didn't match.

Since this seemed like a profitable job, I still inquired about the method of payment this "client" had in mind. He replied that he would pay in Euro Travelers Checks, but did not render an explanation on how he intended to pay the "change", since the last 4 digits of the agreed upon amount were ..73.50.

Needless to say that this was the end of our "agreement".
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fraud

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »