Dr St***** Ro****** (scam name obscured per ProZ rule #8)
Thread poster: LisaG
LisaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:14
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 18, 2011

Here's the latest scam e-mail I received, supposedly from "Dr St***** Ro******" (robstephen71@gmail.com):

My name is St***** Ro****** from Gordon,GA,am presently on business trip here in cairo,Egypt

I actually need to make a presentation to some Spanish group on 28th of Nov,2011 in Honolulu,Hawaii.Therefore i need you translate the presentation to Spanish,so each participants can have a copy and they can follow through.I will also need the work be delivered by/before Nov 25th,2011.

Let me know your rate and charges for a total of presentation of word.Presentation is attached.
Thank you.
Dr St*****
----
Scam giveaways:
1. Poor English.
2. "Dr St*****": UK usage, supposedly from someone in Gordon, GA, USA... a small town very close to Nowheresville.
3. The attached document, "Regional Seminar on Economic Dynamics of Newly Liberalized Telecommunication Markets in CEE Countries and Baltic States," had only 1972 words. Most of us translate more words than that in a single day.
4. Why on earth would Spanish-only speakers be meeting in Hawaii to discuss this topic?

I am weary of receiving so many scam e-mails, but since I was burned by the Touareg agency, I feel I must do what I can to warn fellow translators about traps.

[Edited at 2011-10-19 05:17 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

#JuliaC#  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
German to Italian
+ ...
I wonder... Oct 18, 2011

Why are they alway on a business trip and need the translation of some presentation? At this point they might know we all know theyre scam!

Haytham Boles  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:14
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I received the same email, but he was asking for translation into Arabic! Oct 19, 2011

Hello LisaG,

I received the same email from this Doctor! Stephen Robinson, but he was asking for a translation into Arabic for his presentation. The moment I opened the email, I got skeptical about him and thought that it must be a scam because it did not make much sense to me that somebody who is on a trip into Egypt, and who is from America would need my translation services. I mean why he would turn to me and not find some Arabic translator in Egypt since he is on a trip there and there are many translators there! Therefore I did not bother to reply to his email.

Here is the content of the message I received:

My name is Stephen Robinson from Gordon,GA,am presently on business trip here in cairo,Egypt

I actually need to make a presentation to some Arab group on 28th of Nov,2011 in Honolulu,Hawaii.Therefore i need you translate the presentation to Arabic,so each participants can have a copy and they can follow through.I will also need the work be delivered by/before Nov 25th,2011.

Let me know your rate and charges for a total of presentation of word.Presentation is attached.
Thank you.
Dr Stephen

You cannot imagine how happy I am when I saw that you posted this topic on Proz Forum, and I am relieved that I did good by not replying to his email, for it turned out to be a scam.

Thanks a lot for writing about this scam! You did a great job, warning our fellow translators not to fall victims to this scam.

Best wishes,
Haytham Boles

LisaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:14
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For more on the same scammer: Oct 19, 2011

see http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/210029-scam_engr.html

Apparently the people behind this scheme are trying to hook translators of several different languages.

Thanks for writing, Giulia and Haytham.

I did not read forums rule #8 before posting my original message; I will now mask the name used in the dubious e-mail. All the same, I am glad I could help someone (H.) avoid a scam.

[Edited at 2011-10-19 05:14 GMT]

liviu roth
United States
Local time: 09:14
Romanian to English
+ ...
why masking the name of a crook ? Oct 19, 2011

I respect the rules, but I do not see any reasonable, logical reason to mask the name of a scammer. It is like : "people, a sex offender just moved in your neighborhood". You should leave the name !

Alejandro Cavalitto
Local time: 11:14
SITE STAFF
It is not likely scammers use their real names Oct 19, 2011

The purpose of avoiding naming names in a case like this is to prevent possible issues with libel, since the names used in these cases are not always made-up and can be the names of actual, innocent, persons. In general the messages themselves are sufficient to warn other translators. Hope this explains.

Best regards,
Alejandro

liviu roth
United States
Local time: 09:14
Romanian to English
+ ...
Alejandro, Oct 20, 2011

You are partially right, but think that mr. Robinson or Raphael( for photographers) will issue a check in "his" name or "his" company's name and he will ask to wire via Western Union the "surplus". Most probably, he has a fake ID with which he will withdraw the money.
By the way, I checked the White pages, and there is no Stephen Robinson in Gordon,GA.

Best,
Lee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dr St***** Ro****** (scam name obscured per ProZ rule #8)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search