Beware of IP adresses starting by 41
Thread poster: Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:42
English to French
Oct 24, 2011

I received this one from Nigeria
Be careful

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Rebecca Zak
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 41.58.66.16
Message type: Request for quote
-----------

Hello,
I want you to help me translate a project book of mine
please contact me via this my
personal email rebzak01@aol.com for more information and
the
document.Hope to hear from you soon.apply with cv

[Edited at 2011-10-24 14:50 GMT]

Already mentioned 4 days ago
http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/210250-possible_homeschooling_text_translation_scam.html

[Edited at 2011-10-24 15:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-10-24 15:02 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

MartinPorto  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:42
French to English
+ ...
Who are they? Oct 24, 2011

I never deal with anyone if their contact details address etc. cannot be verified, but that is just common sense is it not!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
41 is allocated to AfriNIC, not Nigeria Oct 24, 2011

Albert Golub wrote:
Beware of IP adresses starting by 41.

Addresses starting with 41 are from AfriNIC, not Nigeria:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xml

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just got one Oct 25, 2011

Thanks for the reminder. My Proz Profile was searched three hours ago from someone whose IP address is 41.203.68.46 -- and which the Melissa Data tells me is from Lagos Nigeria. I can't wait to see what interesting offers I will be receiving in the next few days.

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 07:42
Japanese to English
A simple solution... Oct 25, 2011

Why not just set your "Profile message preferences" to "Allow only ProZ.com users who are logged in to send me messages via my profile"? That way, you won't have to bother with the spam these scammers are sending! Chances are, these scammers aren't Proz users, correct? And, if by chance a registered Proz user sends you scam mails, then their membership can always be revoked, right?

If you leave your profile open to any "yahoo" who can send e-mail, then you should expect to get this kind of nonsense e-mail. There's really no reason to have to be bothered with this issue...Or, am I missing something?

[Edited for spelling.]

[Edited at 2011-10-25 02:16 GMT]

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Me too, 3 days ago, Oct 25, 2011

Jessica Noyes wrote:

My Proz Profile was searched three hours ago from someone whose IP address is 41.203.68.46 -- and which the Melissa Data tells me is from Lagos Nigeria. I can't wait to see what interesting offers I will be receiving in the next few days.

....but so far no emails.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Maybe missing something, yes. Oct 26, 2011

Michael Grant wrote:

Why not just set your "Profile message preferences" to "Allow only ProZ.com users who are logged in to send me messages via my profile"? ...Or, am I missing something?

I quite agree with your suggestion, Micahel, but the unfortunate fact is, any outsider coming to look for a translator in the ProZ.com directory is quite likely to reach my profile and want to send me a message — yet if that person is, for example, a direct customer, they may not see any point in going to the trouble of registering as a ProZ.com member simply in order to be able to contact a translator.

I don't believe in putting any obstacles in their way, and in order to be available to any potential customer who has gone to the trouble of finding my profile, I am prepared to accept the occasional spam that may come through, as well as the scams — which for the most part are pretty obvious, and I have sufficient faith in my own judgement to see through most of them; in any case, I certainly wouldn't get caught up in anything as soon as they start asking for my details without having given me theirs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of IP adresses starting by 41

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search