Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is this a new scam: "Interpreter needed"?
Thread poster: Tony M
Sofia Girbal
Sofia Girbal  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same Message from Paul Gabrit Nov 4, 2011

I received the exactly same message this morning in my gmail account!
At least he could change the name or the phone number! I suspected and looked at the number and found this topic. Thank you!

Yes, too good to be true...200 Euros per Evaluation!!!
He just did not answer where he got my email from and gave me the details of the Job!

Inacceptable...I guess translators/interpreters are expected to accept all type of jobs...hum?!

Thank you
... See more
I received the exactly same message this morning in my gmail account!
At least he could change the name or the phone number! I suspected and looked at the number and found this topic. Thank you!

Yes, too good to be true...200 Euros per Evaluation!!!
He just did not answer where he got my email from and gave me the details of the Job!

Inacceptable...I guess translators/interpreters are expected to accept all type of jobs...hum?!

Thank you for posting this Topic!

Nice Day to you all!!!

Cheers,
Sofia Girbal
Collapse

Stéphanie Denton (X)
Stéphanie Denton (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:36
French to English
+ ...
Gmail, etc. Nov 8, 2011

Tony M wrote:

Needless to say, the sender's e-mail address was f*****nl*****[email protected] — I'm afraid gmail, ymail, and so many of those others are getting such a bad name now, I'm thinking of starting filtering them; as has been discussed before in these pages, any serious professional really ought to think twice about using such addresses.

Hi Tony

I wouldn't entirely rule out all gmail, etc. addresses as some professionals do use them. I, for example, use my agency e-mail for all agency correspondance, yet I use my gmail address for all my freelance work as the memory is more suitable. I also use it as a sort of e-mail harddrive. I also know a few agencies who use gmail for the same reasons.

Difficult, I know. But worth bearing in mind.

Renata von Koerber
Renata von Koerber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:36
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Florian Limmois has finally found me as well! Nov 14, 2011

also through a gmail account.
Thank you for the warning!

Ulrike MacKay
Ulrike MacKay  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The Scam/ Money Laundry goes on Nov 14, 2011

"German Speaker Wanted ASAP

Hi,

I am in need of a Translator residing currently in Germany.
Will you be available for this job?
Please respond asap.

Thanks
F*o*i*n L*m*o*s"

... also just received the above message...

Thanks to everybody who put a warning on here before!

BirgitBerlin
BirgitBerlin  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I have also received this email yesterday Nov 14, 2011

I got it from the same Florian Limmois, asking if I would be available for "this job", not being told what the job entails.
Very obviously a scam. They must be going through the Proz list alphabetically (my second name starts with N)

Maia Rushbury
Maia Rushbury  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
A pure scam Nov 14, 2011

I received a similar email, but with a request for a translation into Russian. I can also confirm that it is a pure scam as in an attempt to double check the credibility of that email and disabuse myself and other colleagues I went to the website of The Institute of Translation & Interpreting, (UK) to see if there was any information of a similar nature posted by my fellow translators. This is what I found, which was posted by a Polish translator Renata Tynor-McCrea in the Forum (section Frau... See more
I received a similar email, but with a request for a translation into Russian. I can also confirm that it is a pure scam as in an attempt to double check the credibility of that email and disabuse myself and other colleagues I went to the website of The Institute of Translation & Interpreting, (UK) to see if there was any information of a similar nature posted by my fellow translators. This is what I found, which was posted by a Polish translator Renata Tynor-McCrea in the Forum (section Fraud) :

Please beware of a translations scam - I have received the following email recently which is a scam. Please also see the following link http://mlt.proz.com/forum/scams/210140-dr_stephen_robinson.html: "My name is Stephen Robinson from Liverpool, am presently on business trip here in Cairo, Egypt I actually need to make a presentation to some Polish group on the 13th of Dec,2011 in London. Therefore i need you to translate the presentation to Polish, so each participants can have a copy and they can follow through. I will also need the work be delivered by/before Dec 7th,2011. Let me know your rate and charges for a total of presentation of word. Presentation is attached. Thank you. Dr Stephen 0020149733728"
Collapse

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:36
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please report these emails to site staff as well Nov 16, 2011

Hello,

I just wanted to remind you that if you report emails you receive from known scammers, action can be taken towards blocking them on the site. If you submit a support request including the email address and IP address of the person who contacted you, we can take steps to make the site more secure and prevent them from contacting ProZ.com users. Thank you.

You can su
... See more
Hello,

I just wanted to remind you that if you report emails you receive from known scammers, action can be taken towards blocking them on the site. If you submit a support request including the email address and IP address of the person who contacted you, we can take steps to make the site more secure and prevent them from contacting ProZ.com users. Thank you.

You can submit a support request from this page: http://www.proz.com/support/

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks for the reminder, Alejandro Nov 16, 2011

I do as a matter of course systematically report scams, span, or otherwise suspicious mail received via ProZ.com; however, on this occasion, since the e-mail was received independently of the ProZ.com system, I didn't see a lot of point.

But yes, everyone, do PLEASE remember to report!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a new scam: "Interpreter needed"?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »