Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is this a new scam: "Interpreter needed"?
Thread poster: Tony M
Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 04:09
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 29, 2011

This morning, I received the following brief message from a person with a French-sounding name:

"Hi,

I am in need of a Translator/Interpreter residing currently in Europe.
Will you be available for this job?
Please respond asap.

Thanks

F*****n L*****s"

It smells of a scam, just thought I'd better warn others, and also, find out if anyone knows if it might even be genuine — seems unlikely, given the lack of info
... See more
This morning, I received the following brief message from a person with a French-sounding name:

"Hi,

Please respond asap.

Thanks

F*****n L*****s"

It smells of a scam, just thought I'd better warn others, and also, find out if anyone knows if it might even be genuine — seems unlikely, given the lack of information and vagueness.

This was NOT sent to me via ProZ.com, so it's quite interesting to wonder just where 'he' might have got my professional e-mail address from — no doubt any one of a number of mailing lists sold to scammers! My address was in Bcc, with the main address as 'undisclosed recipients'

Needless to say, the sender's e-mail address was f*****nl*****[email protected] — I'm afraid gmail, ymail, and so many of those others are getting such a bad name now, I'm thinking of starting filtering them; as has been discussed before in these pages, any serious professional really ought to think twice about using such addresses.

While talking of dodgy e-mail addresses, I came across another one the other day, and discovered that in fact there are a whole load of service providers offering much more plausible sounding addresses, some of which could easily make you think it was a customer from within a large company, for example. So now whenever I see an unfamiliar domaine name, if I have the slightest doubts, I have to check it out.

[Modifié le 2011-10-29 22:43 GMT]
Collapse

Ricardo Gouveia
Ricardo Gouveia  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, it is Oct 29, 2011

I was slightly reluctant on also posting this on Proz, but it was a great thing that you did.
This is a scam. I was contacted first by a person who wrote me the full scam, and then by other one, with the same name and address as that one.

It reeked of scam but I still wanted to know more and received the full scam I am quoting below:

VVV - ATENTION SCAM! Everything below is nothing but a scam not related to any of the mentioned companies.

"Good Mornin
... See more
I was slightly reluctant on also posting this on Proz, but it was a great thing that you did.
This is a scam. I was contacted first by a person who wrote me the full scam, and then by other one, with the same name and address as that one.

It reeked of scam but I still wanted to know more and received the full scam I am quoting below:

VVV - ATENTION SCAM! Everything below is nothing but a scam not related to any of the mentioned companies.

"Good Morning,

Pardon me for sending you an email in relation to a translator/ interpreter.

I am an agent working with Secret Shopper® Europe

We are currently searching for English speakers in EUROPE to help us with our survey.
Currently, we have been paid to evaluate the services of a prestigious company which
is the WESTERN UNION.

JOB SUMMARY:

The WESTERN UNION is a company that offers money transfer services.

The sole aim of this job is to evaluate the services of WESTERN UNION in your area.
We have received a lot of reports about their poor services.
Hence i will give you a detailed job description in key points.

1. You are to locate a western union office you intend to evaluate.( If you need a list of WESTERN UNION in your area please specify.)

2. A cheque would be sent to you to enable you have funds that would be transferred to another mystery shopper
like you who would be evaluating another western union office in his / her location

3. You deposit the cheques into your account.

4. You deduct your wage of 200Eur

5. You transfer the balance (after the subtraction of your wage and possible bank charges) to the name and address that would attached to cheque.

*NOTE* during the transfer process, you observe key things that would be sent to you inform of a questionnaire via email/post to enable you give us a detailed feed back of the whole process.

6. After the transfer, you fill out the questionnaire and give a general comment about the whole process.

The reports would be based on how true/false the complains of these worried customers.
Materials needed for the evaluation would be posted to you.

Hence your duties would be to go to a WESTERN UNION outlet in your locality as a customer.

You do not require any experience in this field as detailed guidelines
would be given to you to ensure a successful completion.

This role would pay 200Eur per Evaluation.

Your details would undergo security checks before the position is granted to you.

First Name:
Last Name:
Date of Birth:
Address:
City:
Postal Code:
Mobile Number:
Home Phone:
Email Address:

We await your urgent response. Thank you for your help, we look forward to working with you.

Yours Sincerely,

Florian Limmois
Secret Shopper®
+447965658971 "

By curiosity I went to research more about the concept of Secret Shopper and it was mentioned on the official site about a scam involving Secret Shopper and Western Union.
Collapse

Olga Hatzigeorgiou
Olga Hatzigeorgiou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:09
English to Greek
+ ...
YES Oct 30, 2011

Yes, I received exactly the same two messages. I was wondering also where did he found my mail address. I was sure it was scam, but wanted to see what is next. My wage would be 100 euros. And now I remember that I received another one, exactly the same with the second message, during the week.
I see a repetition in all these scam messages, they are looking almost the same. Last year, I was a victim of one of these scams with the travellers cheques - they send you some, you have to deduct 1
... See more
Yes, I received exactly the same two messages. I was wondering also where did he found my mail address. I was sure it was scam, but wanted to see what is next. My wage would be 100 euros. And now I remember that I received another one, exactly the same with the second message, during the week.
I see a repetition in all these scam messages, they are looking almost the same. Last year, I was a victim of one of these scams with the travellers cheques - they send you some, you have to deduct 10% and then send it elsewhere. I was lucky with the bank, they told me that the cheque was false and then I sent them back. The guy that I was communicating was very angry with me but I told him some nice "french" words and that was it.
I am seeing so many scam messages everyday that I am used to them now.
I am wishing a nice Sunday to everyone
Collapse

inge van dri (X)
inge van dri (X)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Take care Oct 30, 2011

I received the same kind of message some months ago. The person who contacted me said to belong to a genuine company. This is not only a simple false job offer, this is money laundering, and "working" for such people makes you a collaborator of such a scheme.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Most probably yes Oct 30, 2011

Tony M wrote:

"Hi,

Please respond asap.

Thanks

F*****n L*****s"

Hi Tony,
I received exactly the same message. Which means that it's most probably a scam. Thanks for warning others!

Jaroslav Tomiczek
Jaroslav Tomiczek  Identity Verified
English to Czech
the same here Oct 30, 2011

Right, I got the same email, this time from Paul Garbit and I was offered 200 euros Well, accelerating inflation is here...
Jaro

Birgir24
Birgir24  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 02:09
Member (2011)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
A scam! Oct 31, 2011

Yes, received the same...

Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston
Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Yes it is ! Oct 31, 2011

I received the same message this morning...
the title was TRANSLATOR NEEDED same name, same message...inacceptable !

inge van dri (X)
inge van dri (X)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Found the text Nov 1, 2011

quote:
-------

Hi,
We are xxx located in Taiwan; we manufacture unique products [..].
In the last few months, our systems have attracted interest from companies around Europe. We are relatively new in this part of the world but already have customers in France, UK, Germany, Spain and few more, also, the transfer tax for small companies like us, in Taiwan is 25%, while for individuals it is only 5%, which makes it not profitable for us. This is why we are seeking co
... See more
quote:
-------

Hi,
We are xxx located in Taiwan; we manufacture unique products [..].
In the last few months, our systems have attracted interest from companies around Europe. We are relatively new in this part of the world but already have customers in France, UK, Germany, Spain and few more, also, the transfer tax for small companies like us, in Taiwan is 25%, while for individuals it is only 5%, which makes it not profitable for us. This is why we are seeking company payment processors.

Post Description:
- Receive payment from our clients' either by cheque or wire transfers
- Process the payments at your Bank
- Deduct 10% which will be your commission on each payment processed.
- Transfer the 90% balance to our account which will be provided to you.

Note: You must be 18 years or older, capable to work 3-4 hours per week and must have e-mail and internet experience. You must live or have the right to work in Europe.

For more information, please feel free to contact us;
[email protected]
Thanks for your attention.

Sincerely,

------

They are not looking for an interpreter here, but it is the same scheme, receiving money from someone and then transfer it into another account.
Collapse

Arja Whiteside (X)
Arja Whiteside (X)
Finnish to English
+ ...
scam Nov 1, 2011

Well, unfortunately I have to admit that I have just replied to one of those scam e-mails, fortunately I declined on the job offer.
However, I appreciate these kinds of warnings.....

Hello,

I am in need of a Translator Finnish to English living in Finland for a job.
Please respond asap.

Thanks

BR
Arja

Tom Pesch
Tom Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
same here Nov 2, 2011

I received the same message. Thank you for your warning.

Sara Bock Vieira Araújo
Sara Bock Vieira Araújo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2009)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
same message Nov 4, 2011

I received the same message and it sound very strange. Thank you very much for this warning!

Sofia Costa
Sofia Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you. Nov 4, 2011

Thank you for all who shared.

I received this same message today and the first thing I did was to google the name. After reading your posts I am glad I did not reply.

Thank you all

Ana Bandeira
Ana Bandeira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same message Nov 4, 2011

Hi everyone!

I've just received the same message:

"Hi,

I am in need of a portugese speaker living anywhere in Portugal for a job.

Please respond asap.

Thanks
Paul GARBIT"

The first thing I wondered was how did he get my email address!!!

Thank you to you all for the warning.

Have a nice day!

AlinaCh
AlinaCh  Identity Verified
Portuguese to Polish
+ ...
too good to be true!!! Nov 4, 2011

Dear All,

I've just received the same message from Paul Garbit, but I suspected money laundry or some other scam... 200 euros for secret shopper service sounded too good to be true!

Yet another scam, I'm sorry for the Western Union

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a new scam: "Interpreter needed"?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »