University assignment scam
Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Member (2004)
English to French
Nov 8, 2011

My spider senses were tingling when I got this email today. It sounds pretty much like a scam.

1st email from "client": Am in need of your translation service; I got your page on

My reply: Hi "Client", Can you tell me more about your project?

"Client's" reply (not edited):
How are you doing today? and thanks for getting back to me.. I'm a University Student, the attachment was an assignment given to me so i want you to view it and let me have your Quote's for the translation service. More so i want it to be ready as soon as possible cos i will
need to submit it in 20days time.
Looking forward to read from you.
The text had close to 7,000 words.

It sounded so fishy, that I declined politely saying that I could not do her translation assignment, as it would be considered cheating. Plus, I doubt a university student can afford the cost of such a project.

What are your thoughts?

Direct link Reply with quote

George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:50
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
I think it's a scam Nov 8, 2011

If they're a student, they should know better than to write "let me have your Quote's" or "More so i want it". Believe me, bad English is one of the first signs of a scammer (they are especially common in Nigeria).

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Member (2004)
English to French
I agree Nov 8, 2011

I saw another thread about this very topic. Anyway, when I can't verify if a client is legitimate, I simply decline.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

University assignment scam

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search