Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What to do when you detect who is the scammer?
Thread poster: Batjavkhaa Batsaikhan

Batjavkhaa Batsaikhan  Identity Verified
Mongolia
Local time: 05:47
English to Mongolian
+ ...
Nov 19, 2011

I was scammed by a false translation agency last June, and luckily, I found my translation on the end-client’s website and managed to find the translation agency with which the end client contracted this job.

I knew that there was another translator who was also scammed by the same agency and did the same job. Initially, I didn’t want to suspect this agency and tried to figure out what happened by sending tens of emails for almost two weeks. They assured that they already paid the translator. They also told that they had an invoice sent by the other translator to the end client, and they gave me the date of the invoice and the number of source words translated. The payment term was 30 days, but this invoice was sent to the end client 13 days after the translation was delivered (you know, translators never send their invoices to end clients when there is nothing wrong). I contacted the translator and found out that she never contacted the end client and never sent any invoice to them.

This agency could not explain why they have this invoice. They were also unable to explain my other questions, and their last email was:

“You cannot defame a company without knowing who we are and start false rumors without proof. You have absolutely no evidence… I did not have to tell you I had her invoice.”

In order to avoid any false rumors without proof, I have done my best to get proof that they are not the scammer, but they can’t explain how they got the invoice, which was never sent to the end client and which should be kept by the scammer.

Based on these facts, I believe that they are highly likely to be the scammer. Or am I wrong? I have all their details, including website, email addresses, and physical location, and their website boasts that they are a member of numerous professional associations.

What should I do? Please advise me.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
Give all the information to the police Nov 20, 2011

That is what I would do. You could say that you wish to report a possible crime. If you do this in the UK, they usually investigate.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:47
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Location Nov 21, 2011

Where is this agency located? Depending on the country, you can take several measures, e. g. file a police report, a BBB complaint etc. But all this depends on where the agency is located.

Mongolia
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 21, 2011

Thank you for your advice. This agency is located in the USA (Wisconsin).

Anne Pinaglia
Netherlands
Member (2011)
Italian to English
+ ...
Definitely file a report with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) Nov 21, 2011

They will be obligated to respond to your claim. Even better if you saved the original documents (emails, original file to be translated along with your translated version - after all, how would you have their confidential information if it wasn't sent to you by someone within their company or employed by them??). They should be held accountable at least to rectify the situation.

They may not be responsible for the scamming, but someone is - if it is not them then it is someone they hired. If they are decent people at all they would make sure that they legally obtain translations (but then again, not everyone is decent).

Bring your proof to the BBB website and see what happens. You probably won't get paid, but the scam may be exposed.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2011-11-21 14:13 GMT]

Mongolia
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 21, 2011

Thank you for your advice, Anne and Paolo! I have both original file and translated version, which is still available on the end client's website. I will try what you have suggested. Thank you again!

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Time to clarify the role of the BBB again... Nov 21, 2011

The Better Business Bureau - http://www.bbb.org - deals only with private customers' complaints against businesses. Furthermore all parties have to be located either in the United States of America or in Canada.

So there is no way on Earth the BBB will intervene in B2B relationships, even on the territory of the USA or Canada.

I'd rather file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) at http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx - they cover a very large spectrum of white-collar criminality, and your matter would fit in what they call "Internet facilitated crimes".

[Edited at 2011-11-21 17:22 GMT]

Mongolia
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 22, 2011

Thank you so much for your very useful advice, Laurent! I am going to try all possible ways.

xiaoshuchong
China
Local time: 04:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
I think I have some troubles... Nov 23, 2011

Recently, I met a foreign "translation company". After some exchanges, I was asked to provide my scanned ID card copy...
No other customers asked me for such things. Should I send my card copy to them then?
Can anyone give me some advise ?
Appreciated!

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:47
English to Dutch
+ ...
Confusing Nov 23, 2011

Batjavkhaa Batsaikhan wrote:
... I found my translation on the end-client’s website and managed to find the translation agency with which the end client contracted this job.

I don't understand. You had an order from a company that you didn't know, which turned out to be another company, or did it not exist, or what exactly happened?

You should be able to determine whether a translation is yours and not that of a colleague, no?

Mongolia
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation Nov 23, 2011

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Batjavkhaa Batsaikhan wrote:
... I found my translation on the end-client’s website and managed to find the translation agency with which the end client contracted this job.

I don't understand. You had an order from a company that you didn't know, which turned out to be another company, or did it not exist, or what exactly happened?

You should be able to determine whether a translation is yours and not that of a colleague, no?

I received an order from a translation agency, which does not exist, but I didn't know that this was a false agency with a false name, false address, and false website. They simply stopped replying and disappeared. So I searched for this agency on the internet and found out that three other translators were also scammed by this agency, and one of them did the same job as mine (I contacted this translator and learned that she translated the exact same job for this agency). One day, I found my translation, which is still available on the end client's website, and because the source document contained the name of the end client, I contacted the end client and they disclosed to me the name of the agency with which they contracted this job, but the name of this agency was different from the agency that scammed me. In any case, it is very clear that they should have created a false company because they told me that the other translator sent her invoice to the end client and the end client sent this invoice to them (but this translator told me that she sent this invoice to the false agency but never to the end client), and they cannot explain why they have this invoice.

The job was a 20,000-word welding system manual, and it took almost 2 weeks to translate it (how can't I recognize my translation?). There was no change and no editing or proofreading in my translation. Apparently, they sent out this job to me and to the other translator and chose my translation.

Michael Grant
Japan
Japanese to English
No way! Nov 24, 2011

xiaoshuchong wrote:

Recently, I met a foreign "translation company". After some exchanges, I was asked to provide my scanned ID card copy...
No other customers asked me for such things. Should I send my card copy to them then?
Appreciated!

I certainly would NOT!

But if you choose to, then at the very least ask them for a copy of their ID as well!! (You might be surprised at their reaction!icon_wink.gif )

MLG4035

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:47
Member (2008)
French to English
No Nov 24, 2011

xiaoshuchong wrote:

Appreciated!

No. It is very doubtful that there is a sufficiently valid reason to provide your ID card scan. In fact, in many countries (such as my country) there are no mandatory ID cards. In these days of identity theft it would be wise to be very careful about who you provide a copy of an ID card to.

xiaoshuchong
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
I was worrying what woud occur next... Dec 20, 2011

John Fossey wrote:

xiaoshuchong wrote:

Appreciated!

No. It is very doubtful that there is a sufficiently valid reason to provide your ID card scan. In fact, in many countries (such as my country) there are no mandatory ID cards. In these days of identity theft it would be wise to be very careful about who you provide a copy of an ID card to.

Thanks John!
If I had read your reply that day, I might not send them anything.
I a beginner. What I receive are always some small projects. That's why I couldn't absolutely refuse their email (I was thinking more clients, maybe more projects too).
I sent my passport copy to them. But since then there were almost no replies from them any more. If there is one or two, but just several perfunctory lines.
I don't expect projects from them now. What I expect is that, no any troubles shall occur.icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif
May others beginners would make a wiser decision at such moments.

xiaoshuchong
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
Yes,ask them for their ID too! Dec 20, 2011

Michael Grant wrote:

xiaoshuchong wrote:

Appreciated!

I certainly would NOT!

But if you choose to, then at the very least ask them for a copy of their ID as well!! (You might be surprised at their reaction!icon_wink.gif )

MLG4035

Thank you Michael!
Yes, really I should refuse them racily. But many always have some illusions when they think of good lucks. A fall in pit, a gain in our wit. I would be cautious when there are similar cases later.
Thank you!icon_smile.gif

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do when you detect who is the scammer?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search