Date: Sat, Nov 26, 2011 6:51 am
© 2011 AOL Inc. All Rights Reserved

Glenview Language Network is looking for qualified candidates to add to our
growing database of local Foreign Language Interpreters. We are accepting
resumes for all languages, in order to be considered for future requests from
clients.

The Foreign Language Interpreter is responsible for providing cross-cultural
communication through the process of converting one language into a different
language. Work may involve spoken language (interpretation).

All applications are subject to approval. Further information may be requested at later stages of our recruitment process.Kindly send your resume/certificate for application

Glenview Language Network

I checked this "Glenview Language Network" and it has not a website, telephone number or address.
It looks for "local Foreign Language Interpreters" (in the UK) but sent the message to the US !
They are looking for interpreters but.... "Work may involve spoken language" !?!
They need your resume for approval !
Didn't they have a project manager or a recruiting manager to sign the letter ?
Very deceiving !
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:21
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Local!? Nov 27, 2011

Perhaps this is not a scam but only the product of an agency which strongly lacks focus, a business plan, geographic knowledge, rhyme and reason.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A translation Nov 27, 2011

"to add to a growing base" means that "we are not busy at all or have any work for you, so we are filling our time asking you to fill all sorts of forms and sign different documents just for the fun of it"

Real clients have real work and don't need to "add to their growing base".

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 15:21
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
phishing scam Nov 27, 2011

I see it as a better conceived phishing scheme.
If they want to advertize themselves, why wouldn't they just have a web site, address and telephone ?

Larisa Zlatic, Ph.D.
Larisa Zlatic, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:21
Member (2004)
English to Serbian
+ ...
I think it is a scam Nov 27, 2011

Thanks for the posts on this so-called translation agency.
I got the same email too and it does sound 'phishy', especially that it is from a gmail account and there is no signature line, to indicate the name/location of the agency.
So, to be safe, I just trashed the email.

Nicholas Luttinger
Nicholas Luttinger
Spanish to English
+ ...
Glenview Language Network-Don't waste your time. Nov 28, 2011

I agree with most of the prior comments. Just Googled "Glenview Language Network" because of course the email looked at worst like a scam and at best like it wasn't worth the trouble of a reply. The reaction of fellow Proz members jumped out as one of the first hits. Don't waste your time

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes. Nov 28, 2011

lee roth wrote:

I see it as a better conceived phishing scheme.
If they want to advertize themselves, why wouldn't they just have a web site, address and telephone ?

I couldn't agree more.

Helena M.
Helena M.
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
yes i agree Nov 28, 2011

i agree with the above does not look like anything but a scam....they must have trageted interpreters on here because i got the same email....!

Laura Ventruto
Laura Ventruto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Definitely scam and spam Nov 30, 2011

I also received the email from Glenview Language Network. The sender line reads "[email protected]", but if I click the reply button the addressee line reads "[email protected]". Definitely spam.

Cristina Mazza Piccolo
Cristina Mazza Piccolo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:21
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
Scam? Jan 9, 2012

I received the same email in late November and although it did sound fishy, I replied and now they offered me a job but the ask for my terms and conditions! Moreover, while they mention the event, they don't even specify the language combination.
Has anyone else replied and got job offers from them?
Thanks

Valentina Bren-Buzil
Valentina Bren-Buzil  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
strange message - is Grenview trustworthy? Aug 1, 2015

I've been speaking to Glenview Language Network regarding a job they offered in this message:

"Glenview Language Network "Executives Online Interim Management & Executive Recruitment" We run a search of professional workers to source for our clients need,We are in need of a reputable freelance interpreter to work with our clients coming to ..l..... for a conference meeting on a contract basis.Mode of interpretation shall be consecutive and/or Simultaneous because this is a business
... See more
I've been speaking to Glenview Language Network regarding a job they offered in this message:

"Glenview Language Network "Executives Online Interim Management & Executive Recruitment" We run a search of professional workers to source for our clients need,We are in need of a reputable freelance interpreter to work with our clients coming to ..l..... for a conference meeting on a contract basis.Mode of interpretation shall be consecutive and/or Simultaneous because this is a business meeting tagged "Government Expenditure on Urban Planning "
The meeting will be held for 3days in ......... through August 12th - August 14th 2015 . Your accommodation & travel expenses will be taken care of by us(if applicable). Duration of the meeting is 7hrs on a daily basis.Meeting location will be disclosed prior to the arrival of our clients.
If you are willing to work with us do calculate your total price package and get back to me,we shall provide you with upfront and you get the balance immediately after the event.We are open to your terms & condition in which you conduct your services.
Your reply is awaited.

David Hooks
Human Resources

Glenview Language Network
Telephone/Fax: (079) 204 05078
England Registered No: 660447
VAT Registration No: 509 0978 01"

2 days after I gave David Hooks my terms, the following came in the mail:

"Thanks for your interest to work with us,we have decided to hire you for the interpretation. Kindly get back to us with the details for your 50% upfront payment to be mailed.You shall be furnished with the index of the event so you can study and get familiarized with the content.

Your response is anticipated
David Hooks"

All this looks weird... Multiple mistakes, poor grammar and punctuation + 50% prepayment do not sound right.... any thoughts? Thank you for any input!

[Edited at 2015-08-01 02:23 GMT]
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 19:21
Japanese to English
Scam Aug 1, 2015

Typical advance fee fraud scam. This one is mostly the Cheque Overpayment scam: http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-az-advance-fee-fraud
Instead of sending you 50% they'll send you 200% of the payment and ask you to refund the overpayment. A few days later you'll find out their cheque was a dud. Just delete their emails and move on with your life.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:21
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
A strange email Aug 1, 2015

Not directly related to this scam, but here's also something that made me wondering:
Last night I receive this kind of an email:

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: xxx
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/2096---
Author's IP address: yyy
-----------

Hello Dear
Something sparked my interest in you! Could we make a c
... See more
Not directly related to this scam, but here's also something that made me wondering:
Last night I receive this kind of an email:

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: xxx
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/2096---
Author's IP address: yyy
-----------

Hello Dear
Something sparked my interest in you! Could we make a closer
acquaintance?
here is my contact {[email protected]}
Thanks!
S---

Well, when checking the profile, the message comes out that the profile either doesn't exist anymore or not yet exists. The email itself is strange and ambiguous, mildly speaking, but it was sent through ProZ. Very strange...
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Dating profile Aug 1, 2015

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

Well, when checking the profile, the message comes out that the profile either doesn't exist anymore or not yet exists. The email itself is strange and ambiguous, mildly speaking, but it was sent through ProZ. Very strange...

Yes, I got that one too. Since ProZ isn't a dating site, I reported it as spam and the profile got removed almost immediately.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:21
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Well done Aug 1, 2015

Well done, Emma, you saved others from wondering what this... is about I was just not believing my own eyes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

brand new smart scam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »