Traveller cheks scam again
Thread poster: MM^^

MM^^  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
Chinese to French
+ ...
Dec 11, 2011

Hello everybody,

I received today an job offer that was in fact the Traveller-check Scam.
You find here the text used as to be translated ("Report of the war crimes committed against U.S Military Personnel, June 8, 1967"): http://www.mediafire.com/?k3bbc4ak6frj676 (I post it because it happens that the scammers reuse the same text).
Clues of the scams were:
- undi
... See more
Hello everybody,

I received today an job offer that was in fact the Traveller-check Scam.
You find here the text used as to be translated ("Report of the war crimes committed against U.S Military Personnel, June 8, 1967"): http://www.mediafire.com/?k3bbc4ak6frj676 (I post it because it happens that the scammers reuse the same text).
Clues of the scams were:
- undiscussed good rate
- bad english and spelling mistakes
- immediat payement offer
- payment with traveller checks

Good week-end,
Collapse

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you. Dec 12, 2011

The classi warning signs. Thank you for reposting them. This cannot be done "too many" times. And, instead of sending you the text to be translated, you're being asked to download it and... whatever else might be attached to the download.

Christine Correcher  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Dec 12, 2011

I received the same offer yesterday, from a so called Daniel Clifford. Be careful with individual offers, too good to be true !
Christine

Françoise Paulet  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
New scam from proZ member Dec 14, 2011

Hi,

I just received a new type of scam from a Shaun Stanmore (ProZ member) asking for an english speaking person living in France for an assessment of Western Union.
Once the assesmment is done, the person receives a check and must deduct his/her wage (here 200€), sent back another check with the balance (1rst check-wage) to the person named at he back of th 1rst check (which is false).
It's always the same process...
beware !

Emilie LEFEUVRE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Me too , and both scams ! Dec 15, 2011

Stupid me !

I started my translation activity last month and here I was all enthusiastic about having a big well paid project !

I had the "daniel clifford" scam and spent my day translating the report... but when I received €2500 in travelers checks instead of the €300 expected, I started to be more suspicious... When he told me that it would better to cash them and send the rest back through western union, I googled, and found out...

I also rece
... See more
Stupid me !

I started my translation activity last month and here I was all enthusiastic about having a big well paid project !

I had the "daniel clifford" scam and spent my day translating the report... but when I received €2500 in travelers checks instead of the €300 expected, I started to be more suspicious... When he told me that it would better to cash them and send the rest back through western union, I googled, and found out...

I also received the secret shopper thing from "shaun" aroound the same date...

Disappointement and a day of work lost... and probably tomorrow lost too, because I'm bringing those checks to the police station and will fill a "main courante" in case they would start to be annoying...

Bouhou:(

[Edited at 2011-12-15 18:35 GMT]
Collapse

MM^^  Identity Verified
Chinese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
FBI Dec 15, 2011

Hello,

The counterfeiting of traveler checks is regarded as the counterfeiting of american currency and therefore it is a federal crime. Maiby you can contact the FBI and, in the case of an criminal proceeding against the counterfaiter, you can sue for your civil damage.

Best regards,

Annie Salinas
France
English to French
+ ...
Thank you All Dec 16, 2011

Hi,

Experienced the same (seems the present target is France ?) with "shaun scam" and googled as well when receiving the offer for 200 € wages (actually googled after looking at his void proz member's profile). Many thanks for your posts.
Kind regards
Annie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Traveller cheks scam again

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »