1099 scam?
Thread poster: Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:26
English to French
Jan 30, 2012

(For those who don't know, 1099 is the freelancer tax form in the US).

Has anybody else received this email (with real names that you don't relate to instead of XXXX and YYYY)?

Dear ...,

The XXXXX dba YYYY has created an IRS form 1099-MISC for you for the tax year 2011.

With IRS tax laws, it is very important that you retrieve this form now by clicking on the encrypted link below so that The Cresston Company dba Comp Lang has a re
... See more
(For those who don't know, 1099 is the freelancer tax form in the US).

Has anybody else received this email (with real names that you don't relate to instead of XXXX and YYYY)?

Dear ...,

The XXXXX dba YYYY has created an IRS form 1099-MISC for you for the tax year 2011.

With IRS tax laws, it is very important that you retrieve this form now by clicking on the encrypted link below so that The Cresston Company dba Comp Lang has a record of delivery.

https://www......com/validate/2011/...

You'll be asked to confirm your identity by entering only the last 4 digits of your Tax ID number. By clicking on the secure link, you give permission to XXXX dba YYYY and Track1099.com to deliver your 1099-MISC electronically for the tax year 2011. You may refuse or withdraw your consent by emailing [email protected], including the name of the company, XXXX dba YYYY, your name, last 4 of your SSN or TIN, your full mailing address and a request for paper. A paper copy will then be mailed to you.

This form may look a little different from the usual 1099-MISC, but is an acceptable substitute according to IRS Pub. 1179.

Out of consideration for the environment, we ask that you consent to receive the form electronically; it's faster, completely secure, and gives you the tax information you need right away. Your 1099-MISC will remain available via the secure link above through October 15, 2012 at which time it will become inaccessible.

You may update your information by emailing [email protected], including the company name, XXXX dba YYYY, your name, last 4 of your SSN or TIN, and changes to be made.

In order to access the document, you will need a suitable computer connected to the internet, running an internet browser that supports 256 bit SSL encryption that is able to view HTML pages and download a pdf file.

Sincerely,

The Team at ....
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:26
German to English
+ ...
Definitely a scam! Jan 30, 2012

An ill-disguised "phishing" trip!

Line Merrette
Line Merrette  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:26
English to French
I received it in Canada! Feb 12, 2012

It was pretty obvious because of this it was bogus.

Maria Ramon
Maria Ramon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
This is a legitimate company Feb 13, 2012

I also received this e-mail; it is a legitimate company.

All data on the 1099 is correct. I have worked with this company for several years and they are a very good and reputable company; everything has been automated last year, therefore there are many changes, like uploading invoices on their portal.

All information on the 1099, which is a PDF file contains correct information that the company already had since several years earlier when I started working with them an
... See more
I also received this e-mail; it is a legitimate company.

All data on the 1099 is correct. I have worked with this company for several years and they are a very good and reputable company; everything has been automated last year, therefore there are many changes, like uploading invoices on their portal.

All information on the 1099, which is a PDF file contains correct information that the company already had since several years earlier when I started working with them and I did not have to provide when I clicked to retrieve the 1099.

This is NOT a scam.

If you have worked with them, you can either download the 1099 in PDF format or request Amy to send you a paper form by mail.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1099 scam?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »