ianwrhodes
Germany
German to English
Feb 3, 2012

Hello all,

I just received this mail from a company in Switzerland:

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren

Da wir ausgelastet sind möchten wir anfragen,

ob Sie an einer längerfristigen Zusammenarbeit interessiert sind?

Bitte teilen Sie uns kurzfristig Ihr genaues Tätigkeitsfeld, Preise und Kapazität mit,

um weiteres Vorgehen zu koordinieren.

Um Ihnen Informationen übermitteln zu können bitten wir Sie den

Vertrag unterzeichnet, vorab per e-Mail und per Post zu senden.

Wir freuen uns auf eine gute Zusammenarbeit mit Ihnen!

Freundliche Grüße
[Name]
CEO/ Inhaber"

The telephone number goes straight to a mailbox and there is no trace of the company or its CEO in Google. Am I simply being excessively hopeful about the promise of work or is this a glaring scam??

Thanks,
Ian Rhodes

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Looks like a scam Feb 3, 2012

ianwrhodes wrote:

Hello all,

I just received this mail from a company in Switzerland:

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren

Da wir ausgelastet sind möchten wir anfragen,

ob Sie an einer längerfristigen Zusammenarbeit interessiert sind?

Bitte teilen Sie uns kurzfristig Ihr genaues Tätigkeitsfeld, Preise und Kapazität mit,

um weiteres Vorgehen zu koordinieren.

Um Ihnen Informationen übermitteln zu können bitten wir Sie den

Vertrag unterzeichnet, vorab per e-Mail und per Post zu senden.

Wir freuen uns auf eine gute Zusammenarbeit mit Ihnen!

Freundliche Grüße
[Name]
CEO/ Inhaber"

The telephone number goes straight to a mailbox and there is no trace of the company or its CEO in Google. Am I simply being excessively hopeful about the promise of work or is this a glaring scam??

Thanks,
Ian Rhodes

I wouldn't give them any information unless they provide some more concrete, specific data of their own. Even I'm in google and I'm just a geezer in a broom cupboard somewhere in the hills...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No information and of course no contract! Feb 3, 2012

Clearly this is a situation in which you would be tempted to sign a contract in order to find out whether there are good business chances.

Clearly a company can give you a lot of information about themselves and their kind of work without compromising their customers' privacy, so I see no reason for a contract upfront.

It looks like scam to me. I would cease communicating with them and would wait to see whether they try to get in touch again.

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:26
English to German
I have never seen a scam written in German before. Feb 3, 2012

ianwrhodes wrote:

Am I simply being excessively hopeful about the promise of work or is this a glaring scam??

Hello Ian,

I have never seen a scam written in German before. Don't scammers usually speak English?

Have you already spoken to him/her about the terms of payment? This might give you a clue.

Otherwise, you could miss a good job opportunity.

Marina

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
??? Feb 4, 2012

It doesn't say anythign about translating, it asks for your field of activity. What sort of serious enterprise would do that? Even though it is in German, it strikes me as dodgy. If you can't contact them by phone I'd leave them alone.

Nani Delgado  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
strange... Feb 4, 2012

If they are "ausgelastet", that would mean that they have something specific to be done in one or more particular fields and nobody at this moment that can do the job(s). So they should look for translators more specifically instead of asking many of them to name their working fields to see if they fit in. Or are they just beginners? Sounds strange to me. I would not sign anything without a real job offer that I´d like to accept but if I had the time, I would first of all ask them for more details about the potential job and the company to decide if *I* am interested in working with them.

[Edited at 2012-02-04 16:58 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No information - no contract Feb 5, 2012

Hello Ian,

although this is the first scam email I've ever seen in German, there seems to be little doubt about its nature.

No legitimate company would ask you to sign a contract "into the blue". To my knowledge, it's even illegal in Germany to force a contract on someone without providing any detailed information.

You might want to ask them how they've found you, e. g. ProZ.com or any other professional site you frequent. Personally, I would just delete the email and move on.icon_smile.gif

ianwrhodes
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all of your replies Feb 5, 2012

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the info. No, I've never seen anything like this in German either. However, I refuse to download or open files from anyone I don't know. I mailed the sender back, asking for more details or at least a personal phone call and have received nothing so far. The fact that even Google doesn't recognise this individual/company (I'm also to be found in the "bloke-in-broom-cupboard" category) really made me sit up and think, especially as there IS a website.
So unless I hear anything specific from the sender or his company, I'll file this under spam and forget about it.

Cheers,
Ian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Might this be a scam

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search