Thread poster: George Trail

George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:54
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2012

This is actually a convincing scam - watch out!

"The following information involves the ACH transaction that was originally sent by you or any other person on 02-06-2012.

Transaction ID:

Status of the transaction: suspended
Supplementary information: Please refer to the [detailed report]*

Sincerely,
Violette Coirs.

2012 NACHA - The Electronic Payments Association

This is a system generated email. Please do not respond."

The text of "detailed report" is a link.

Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:54
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Convincing? Quite the opposite! Feb 8, 2012

I find it rather scam-vincing myself...

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Total agreement Feb 8, 2012

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Me too, I wouldn't go near any emails claiming to be about something "that was originally sent by me OR ANY OTHER PERSON..." when it's obviously something I've never heard of.

[Edited at 2012-02-08 10:19 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Too obvious Feb 8, 2012

Barbara Carrara wrote:

The content of this email is so vague that the subject line should actually be: SCAM FOR YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON! (yes, in caps)icon_biggrin.gif

George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Too obvious?" Feb 8, 2012

Thayenga, are you trying to make me look stupid? Obviously it was never going to convince me personally (not least because I don't even use ACH, whatever that is). But it could be a different story if you worked in a big company or something. Mind you, I do accept that it doesn't even provide any details of the value of the transaction - because it's not for me personally, is it? It's for everyone who might fall for it, including you!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
VERY obvious Feb 8, 2012

"by you or any other person"... There you go! No identifiable information, the first sign that something is not right!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Far from it Feb 8, 2012

George Trail wrote:

Thayenga, are you trying to make me look stupid? Obviously it was never going to convince me personally (not least because I don't even use ACH, whatever that is). But it could be a different story if you worked in a big company or something. Mind you, I do accept that it doesn't even provide any details of the value of the transaction - because it's not for me personally, is it? It's for everyone who might fall for it, including you!

Hi George,

my apologies if it came across like this to you. It has not been and still is not my intention to make you - or anybody else, for that matter - look stupid or appear in any negative way.

Yet, even if someone works for said company, the scam is obvious simply because no company would send you an alert containing the words (send by you) "or any other person".

If their email was legitimate, then they would

1. address you by your name
2. leave out the "or any other person/anybody else" phrase
3. deprive you of the opportunity to reply to that email

and it would not be a machine generated email.

Sincerely,
Thayenga

[Edited at 2012-02-08 12:43 GMT]

Mike Sadler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Many thanks, George Feb 8, 2012

You've done what I should have done, George, by bringing it to colleagues' attention.
I actually fell for this. I was having trouble with a transaction and this came in the middle of the correspondence, which was also in the middle of going all out to meet a translation deadline.
Even though I'm normally über-cautious and would never normally be caught by something like this, on that day and in those circumstances, I clicked where I shouldn't have.
As soon as I clicked I realised what I'd done, to my horror, and then spent the next X hours finding and removing the malware I'd just invited into my computer. It was a scary moment.
All OK now, I'm glad to say - but thanks again for your original post.
Mike

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:54
English to German
Thank you very much for warning us. Feb 9, 2012

George Trail wrote:

This is actually a convincing scam - watch out!

"The following information involves the ACH transaction that was originally sent by you or any other person on 02-06-2012.

Transaction ID:

Status of the transaction: suspended
Supplementary information: Please refer to the [detailed report]*

Sincerely,
Violette Coirs.

2012 NACHA - The Electronic Payments Association

This is a system generated email. Please do not respond."

The text of "detailed report" is a link.

Thank you very much for warning us, George.

Marina

Line Merrette  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:54
English to French
I received that scam too Feb 12, 2012

A few of my tricks (for everyone's benefit; some you already know, I suppose):

I went to check the website of the organization Electronic Payments Association and, lo and behold, there is a warning https://www.nacha.org/node/983.

Also, if you use Outlook, you can right-click on an email in your Inbox and select Options (in my XP version it is the very last one). You will then see the full headers. You will often find out that way that the domain the message comes from has nothing to do with the purported organization. The headers are often required of you want to file a complaint. You can copy-paste them.

Nowadays, when I get an email, I always assume it is a phishing attempt until I have verified it is bona fide. Paranoid? Maybe. But my PC does not get infected often and so far I have been lucky, I did not get caught in a scam.

The best security measure is called Delete.

I also use the Display feature in Outlook to see what is in the email without opening it. It they are asking you to open an attachment, alarm bells should go off. The old UPS virus is still circulating...).

Hovering your mouse over a link WITHOUT CLICKING is another way to see if the domain name apprears to be bona fide.

Just take a sentence of the email and put it in Google. Sometimes results are surprising.

[Modifié le 2012-02-12 20:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam warning (this is a smart one!)

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search