Old scam still going strong
Thread poster: neilmac

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2012

On Friday I received this classic scam email apparently from a direct client, although without his usual visible phone number and contact details, simply signed at the end of the following text:

"I just hope you get this on time, I made a quick trip to Edinburgh, Scotland and my bags got stolen from me with my passport and credit cards in it. The embassy is willing to help by letting me fly without my passport,but I just have to settle some bills. Unfortunately for me, I can't have access to funds without my credit card, I've made contact with my bank but they need more time to come up with a new one. Please I need you to lend me some funds that I can give back as soon as I get in. I really need to be on the next available flight.
Please let me know now if I can forward you details on how you can get the funds to me.My phone got stolen,so you can only reach me through email for now....i await your response.

Thank you for your kindliness and Understanding"

(CLIENT'S NAME)

I was quite amused because the English in the email is actually much better than my French client's, but got in touch with him anyway to let him know... and he is now asking me if I know any "good" hackers who can recover his account which has been usurped!

I just posted this because I was surprised that it was addressed to me and apparently signed by a direct client, as a reminder that you can never be too careful.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 00:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some time ago, Feb 12, 2012

I got the same email pretending to come from my... office's landlord!

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:15
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

"good hackers" = your client's IP Feb 12, 2012

Hi Neil,

Please ask your client (the real one) to get in touch with his IP. When I got hacked, it was my IP that fixed the problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Old scam still going strong

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search