Scam? I need your opinion on this one...
Thread poster: cooling
cooling
cooling
Local time: 17:07
English to French
Feb 16, 2012

Good afternoon everyone,

I recently answered a translation job offer. The document to be translated is a word file with the following title: A Report: War Crimes Committed Against U.S. Military Personnel, June 8, 1967.
If you google it, you will see it is on Amazon...
Here is the full announce:

"We are currently looking for french freelance translators form English into French,French into English,e.t.c area of specialization,rates and software you use for re
... See more
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently answered a translation job offer. The document to be translated is a word file with the following title: A Report: War Crimes Committed Against U.S. Military Personnel, June 8, 1967.
If you google it, you will see it is on Amazon...
Here is the full announce:

"We are currently looking for french freelance translators form English into French,French into English,e.t.c area of specialization,rates and software you use for regular work.
Only native speakers for target languages that reside in France!
We will contact selected candidates.

Please contact as soon as possible with your final quote and the time frame for you to finish this project.

The document contains 15,076 words. The type of document to translateis literature and the industry specialization required is HISTORY.The deadline set for this project is May 5th,2012."

The client asked for a quotation, CV and references. Then he told me he chose me.

Now, here is his latest message:

"Thanks for the details provided and i'm okay with the cost. I will
let you know as soon as my associate made out the payment so
you keep an eye on your mailbox and please confirm the delivery of the
cheque so i can instruct on what to do next.I really appreciate your
effort towards making it a successful one and hope doing more project
with you in the future and kindly go ahead with the project as soon as
possible to avoid delay.

I do believe we have much time as regards this project so you have
much time to do quality job and proofread as well as i wouldn't want
you to rush my job for anything else.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation."

Scam or not scam?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:07
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Scam Feb 16, 2012

The giveaway is "I will let you know as soon as my associate made out the payment so you keep an eye on your mailbox and please confirm the delivery of the cheque so i can instruct on what to do next." This is the prelude to an overpayment, the balance of which you will be asked to send to the "colleague" (The other clue is the poor English...)... See more
The giveaway is "I will let you know as soon as my associate made out the payment so you keep an eye on your mailbox and please confirm the delivery of the cheque so i can instruct on what to do next." This is the prelude to an overpayment, the balance of which you will be asked to send to the "colleague" (The other clue is the poor English...)

See http://www.proz.com/post/1855954#1855954 for an example of the next step you can expect.
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:07
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Sounds like an overpayment scam Feb 16, 2012

cooling wrote:
I will let you know as soon as my associate made out the payment so
you keep an eye on your mailbox and please confirm the delivery of the
cheque so i can instruct on what to do next.

This could be an overpayment scam . The fact that you should receive instructions after you receive the check suggests to me that the amount you will receive is likely to be a lot larger than agreed.

cooling wrote:
I do believe we have much time as regards this project so you have
much time to do quality job and proofread as well as i wouldn't want
you to rush my job for anything else.

Since the client is not in a hurry, you could simply do nothing until the check arrives. If it is for an amount larger that agreed and you are requested to wire back the difference, you can ask the client for a physical address to send back the check so they can send a proper one.

Meanwhile you could ask for a proper purchase order (this is good risk management always, scam or not scam).

Regards

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Best thing which will give them away... Feb 16, 2012

You can pretty much quote as much as you like, they will always accept in a wink (since they are really not intending to pay you anyway...)

DocteurPC
DocteurPC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:07
English to French
+ ...
Definite scam Feb 16, 2012

It's an old one - and it works not only in translation - be wary and don't start translating anything until the check has cleared - my opinion (and those of the other readers) it will not clear!
And it will be for a larger amount and you will be asked to send the difference...
NOBODY pays the whole sum in advance! A deposit, yes, often, but not the whole sum.

cooling
cooling
Local time: 17:07
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I see... Feb 16, 2012

Yolanda Broad wrote:

The giveaway is "I will let you know as soon as my associate made out the payment so you keep an eye on your mailbox and please confirm the delivery of the cheque so i can instruct on what to do next." This is the prelude to an overpayment, the balance of which you will be asked to send to the "colleague" (The other clue is the poor English...)

See http://www.proz.com/post/1855954#1855954 for an example of the next step you can expect.

I think you're all right, this looks like scam... Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam? I need your opinion on this one...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »