Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 20:09
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 17, 2012

I've had similar requests to this in the past, but never followed them up; however, I'm beginning to wonder if it mightn't be some kind of a scam, though at first approach, it's not immediately obvious just in what way...

Here's the e-mail I received, very similar to previous ones:

-----------
Vous avez reçu un message via ProZ.com.
Auteur: Mrs K******* B** [NOTE : l'auteur n'est pas un membre de ProZ.com ou n'était pas identifié lors de l'envoi de ce mes
... See more
I've had similar requests to this in the past, but never followed them up; however, I'm beginning to wonder if it mightn't be some kind of a scam, though at first approach, it's not immediately obvious just in what way...

Here's the e-mail I received, very similar to previous ones:

-----------
Vous avez reçu un message via ProZ.com.
Auteur: Mrs K******* B** [NOTE : l'auteur n'est pas un membre de ProZ.com ou n'était pas identifié lors de l'envoi de ce message.]
Adresse IP de l'auteur: 81.xxxxxxx
Type de message: Other
-----------

Dear Teacher,

My name is Mrs K******** B** I am looking for an
international teacher to teach and provide loving care to my daughter. I am a
widow.

We are Malaysian citizen living in United Kingdom at X
Gore Road, BETHNAL GREEN LONDON, we just relocated from Malaysia to London
because of my new job, for me my English Language is Basic but not
fluent. A friend of mine here in London has helped me secure a good job
for my daughter but due to the fact that she is not conversant with English
Language it has been a problem for her at the moment but the Company
has given her 6 months to improve that is why I have decided to do my
best by searching for an international Teacher who can help my
daughter as a personal Teacher .

We have an incredible culture that we would also love to
share with you! We are looking for a teacher who is honest and good
behavior. All you have to do is to teach my daughter.

You would be paid the sum of £2500(two thousand five
hundred GBP) monthly with a weekly allowance of £500 for your
upkeep.
Hence i am doing anything that would motivate our
intending teacher to put in his or her best in Teaching my only daughter.

Please our future teacher i promise you that my daughter
will not suffer or stress you because she can learn fast.

This is our first time of hiring a teacher so we would
like to know when you can be available because i would like a teacher
that can start as soon as possible. Please e mail us if you would
like to discuss the position with us.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Best regards.
Mrs K****** B**

The original IP address isn't much help, it seems to be a satellite service provider, and gives a location somewhere out in the Atlantic, off the coast of Ghana... Does that sound suspicious, for a Malaysian widow living in London??!!
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 14:09
English
+ ...
It's a scam. Feb 17, 2012

Hi Tony.

Take a look at this: http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=29463

M

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:09
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Prepayment scam Feb 17, 2012

You agree on the price, she sends you a fake prepayment larger than the sum agreed and asks that you return the difference (probably via Western Union).
This is my guess.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Prepayment? Feb 17, 2012

Thanks, Katalin!

That's sort of what I was guessing, though of course here we are talking about a salaried position.

I can only imagine they are going to offer some kind of advance payment, then over-payment as you say, and take it from there...

Michal Berski
Michal Berski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Queer Feb 17, 2012

It is highly unusual, so to speak, for any person living in London to seek an English teacher in France and via the Internet. The fact itself is enough to indicate scam

Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
Scammers got imagination, too much! Feb 17, 2012

Michal Berski wrote:

It is highly unusual, so to speak, for any person living in London to seek an English teacher in France and via the Internet. The fact itself is enough to indicate scam

Haha, yes, you said it Michal!! When the story is funny, there are chances it is indeed a scam!

Besides the nonsensical nature of the request, there is also the traditional extravagant scenario.

Another telltale sign of Third World scams is also how they tend to recount their own life with so much detail to someone they don't know! Is it normal a behavior? I doubt!

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
"Sucker profile" Feb 17, 2012

I've certainly not seen a scam of this kind before, so thanks for sharing. For someone who claims to speak only basic English, the wealthy widow uses some surprisingly sophisticated phrases, such as "secure a good job" and "not conversant with English", so I think she's selling herself a bit short! I'm also a little puzzled as to how the daughter has landed a good job here despite not speaking English; surely a knowledge of English must be one of the many requirements for a work permit under the... See more
I've certainly not seen a scam of this kind before, so thanks for sharing. For someone who claims to speak only basic English, the wealthy widow uses some surprisingly sophisticated phrases, such as "secure a good job" and "not conversant with English", so I think she's selling herself a bit short! I'm also a little puzzled as to how the daughter has landed a good job here despite not speaking English; surely a knowledge of English must be one of the many requirements for a work permit under the points-based scheme? How generous of the company to give her the job regardless, and then give her a whole six months to improve!

The requirement for "loving care" from a language tutor is perhaps the biggest red flag, since a caring, nurturing nature is, I'm sure, part of the "sucker profile" a scammer would look for in a potential victim.
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Scam Feb 17, 2012

Agree with all previous comments.
Funny how your contact also emphasizes that 'we are looking for a teacher who is honest and good behavior (!).'
If YOU are not 'honest and good behavior', you can abstain from answering, I guess.
With so many generous people around offering jobs and very good wages, it's almost incredible that we are still in a crisis...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another potential scam...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »