Thread poster: Christopher & Rozilene Frye

Christopher & Rozilene Frye  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:33
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2012

I received an email from a purported Peter.Sidorov@rambler.ru offering me daily editing work. It had contact information for Rambler Internet Holdings, and it checked out. He said his company was a travel agency. I did his little "test" and he began sending me little editing "jobs" every day, along with copious praise and adding up the sums of money that he said he would pay me after two weeks. I noticed that some of the letters mentioned that they were looking for agents in the United States to received payments from their US customers because it is impossible to send money via the internet from the US to Russia. I began to get a little suspicious, because it began to look like some kind of money laundering scheme. But, I kept on, since it was just 1/2 of work per day. I noticed that in some of the "letters" they were praising their US agents and mentioning the thousands of dollars per month in commissions that they were earning (the bait). I think this was supposed to pique my greed, making me want one of those positions. A few days before he was supposed to pay me, he dropped the baited hook into the water. He offered me one of those "lucrative" agent positions receiving payments in the US. Well, by now the jig was just about up, and I politely refused his offer. I have not heard from him since. I did, however, do what I should have done in the first place - more thorough Google search. Rambler Internet Holdings is just a Russian search engine and email provider. Anyone can get a "rambler.ru" email address, it's not unlike "gmail.com". Well, I'm only out a little time, thank God I woke up before it was too late! Check out the following link for more info: http://wordsmithforhire.blogspot.com/2011/08/rambler-internet-holdings-scam.html

Direct link Reply with quote

Isabelle F. BRUCHER  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:33
English to French
+ ...
Interesting Mar 3, 2012

Thank you for warning us. So, the "@something" could be the name of an email provider from a faraway country compared to ours, and the scammer is thus hoping that we have never heard of that foreign email provider! So, indeed, the best thing is to start with a thorough Google search, like you finally did !

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:33
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A relatively new one (?) Mar 4, 2012

Thank you for the warning.

I've never heard/read about the rambler.ru scam. Your post confirms that, before accepting any kind of work from unknown "clients", a thorough Internet search should always be conducted. Fortunately, you "woke up" before you did even more work for this person.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rambler Internet Holdings scam

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search