Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:14
English to German
+ ...
Apr 12, 2012

Zitat von rob.hans3@yahoo.com:
-----------
Sie haben eine Nachricht über ProZ.com erhalten.
Absender: Robert Hanson [HINWEIS: Der Absender ist kein registrierter Nutzer von ProZ.com oder war beim Senden dieser Nachricht nicht angemeldet.]
IP-Adresse des Absenders: 69.22.186.174
Art der Nachricht: Collaboration
-----------

Hello, i need to translate a document from English language
to German as soon as possible, please get back to me if you
are available for the job. Thanks

I asked him/her to send me the file to be translated. A certain "High Chief Ogunsanya" is the person who saved the file (according to the file "Properties").

Google gave me exactly 4 hits for "High Chief Ogunsanya" (Nigerian URLs).

By the way: Robert Hanson? Is he part of the notorious "Hanson family" that has already been mentioned in one of the forum posts?

Watch out,
Gudrun

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Thank you, Gudrun Apr 12, 2012

Contact details blocked, I am calling site staff to this issue.

Natalia

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Straight into the bin Apr 12, 2012

Anything with "HINWEIS: Der Absender ist kein registrierter Nutzer von ProZ.com... " goes straight into my trashcan.

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 12:14
SITE STAFF
Thanks! Apr 12, 2012

Thanks a lot Gudrun for sharing this information and to Natalie for her permanent and excellent support. A scam alert has been generated based on this information and a subsequent investigation, and other actions have been adopted regarding this scam attempt.

neilmac wrote:

Anything with "HINWEIS: Der Absender ist kein registrierter Nutzer von ProZ.com... " goes straight into my trashcan.

You can personalize the mail received through your profile as described in this FAQ. In particular you can select "Allow only ProZ.com users who are logged in to send me messages via my profile".

Regards,
Enrique

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Very useful ProZ feature Apr 13, 2012

Enrique wrote:
You can personalize the mail received through your profile as described in this FAQ. In particular you can select "Allow only ProZ.com users who are logged in to send me messages via my profile".

Enrique

That is a very simple way to stop a lot of these scam attempts. Most crooks will not register, and since I checked the option you mention above (about a year ago), I have had none. It was becoming quite a nuisance. These scams are usually run by big, organized criminal gangs who shouldn't be treated as a joke. It doesn't make me comfortable to know that they potentially have access to my personal info, so not allowing non-ProZ registered individuals to contact me is a big step in the right direction.

My philosophy is that legitimate agencies or clients should have no problem with becoming registered users at ProZ. If they don't register, it looks as if they have something to hide, and I probably wouldn't want to work with them in any case.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Useful, but not a complete answer Apr 13, 2012

Woodstock wrote:

Most crooks will not register, ...

Sadly, this is not true; we have seen many instances recently of scammers creating false profiles in order to be able to contact members via the ProZ.com profile e-mail system. Some have even gone so far as to become paying members! We could ask the site staff to give us a ball-park idea of just how many profiles have been deactivated in the last (sa) 6 months for scamming — and how many of those were paying members?

My philosophy is that legitimate agencies or clients should have no problem with becoming registered users at ProZ. If they don't register, it looks as if they have something to hide, and I probably wouldn't want to work with them in any case.

Here again, I'm afraid I can't agree. In my own case, some (most!) of my most lucrative direct customers contacted me initially having searched the directory and come up with my name, and hence, via the profile e-mail system. Whilst any legitimate translation agency might certainly be expected to at least register, the same cannot be said for the direct customer with what might well be a one-off requirement. I for one am prepared to tolerate the easily-spotted scam messages for the sake of not losing out on important jobs.

These scams are usually run by big, organized criminal gangs who shouldn't be treated as a joke. It doesn't make me comfortable to know that they potentially have access to my personal info...

I certainly agree about the organized crime aspect of this; however, the very advantage of the ProZ.com e-mail system is that your personal details are not revealed. The e-mail message is sent anonymously via the system, and the sender will only receive your details should you choose to reply. To me, this is exactly the beauty of this system: it protects my privacy, at least for the first message received.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
A suggestion... Apr 14, 2012

We've been discussing, both earlier in this thread and in several other threads, just what ProZ.com should/should not / could/could not do to help avoid scammers using ProZ.com as a channel for their dishonesty.

It would be interesting to analyse the various attributes of scam mails to see if there is any criterion, or simple combination of criteria, that would enable us to filter out a usefully large number of such messages, with the minimum of false positives.

One criterion that occurs to me is simply to block anything coming from a Nigerian domain address. That would seemingly avoid a goodly proportion of these unwanted mails — and I wonder just how many legitimate Nigerian translation businesses there are who would actually be affected? Of course, there's nothing to stop any legitimate business from registering, and perhaps a message could be sent back to all attempted incoming mails from these domains, inviting legitimate businesses to follow some specific procedure to get through the site — like staff vetting of all messages, for example.

I would imagine (though it would be interesting to see the stats.) that it would be less work for staff to vet a smaller number of incoming messages identified as coming from 'at risk' domains than it would be if all paying members decided to have all profile mails vetted! Surely it is a minimum of profile mails that are actually spam, so a great deal of no doubt costly effort must be being wasted, compared to what I would have thought would have been much smaller incoming traffic from a certain number of specific 'high risk' domains.

And before we hear cries of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater", I'd be interested to know how many of the IP addresses that get blocked might actually in any case be 'blanket' addresses of ISPs, as we have often seen here in Europe, for example?

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 12:14
SITE STAFF
There is a similar mechanism in place Apr 15, 2012

Dear Tony,

Your suggestions are very reasonable and in fact a similar mechanism is in place and it has blocked hundreds of she simpler scam messages in the last weeks alone. We keep track of messages captured (both scams and false alarms and also of scams that go through and are reported via support, and we use this information to keep improving the system.

By the way, the IP in this particular case belongs to a location in the USA.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Well, let's just say our experiences have been different Apr 18, 2012

Tony M wrote:

Woodstock wrote:

Most crooks will not register, ...

Sadly, this is not true; we have seen many instances recently of scammers creating false profiles in order to be able to contact members via the ProZ.com profile e-mail system. Some have even gone so far as to become paying members! We could ask the site staff to give us a ball-park idea of just how many profiles have been deactivated in the last (sa) 6 months for scamming — and how many of those were paying members?

Here again, I'm afraid I can't agree. In my own case, some (most!) of my most lucrative direct customers contacted me initially having searched the directory and come up with my name, and hence, via the profile e-mail system. Whilst any legitimate translation agency might certainly be expected to at least register, the same cannot be said for the direct customer with what might well be a one-off requirement. I for one am prepared to tolerate the easily-spotted scam messages for the sake of not losing out on important jobs.

These scams are usually run by big, organized criminal gangs who shouldn't be treated as a joke. It doesn't make me comfortable to know that they potentially have access to my personal info...

I certainly agree about the organized crime aspect of this; however, the very advantage of the ProZ.com e-mail system is that your personal details are not revealed. The e-mail message is sent anonymously via the system, and the sender will only receive your details should you choose to reply. To me, this is exactly the beauty of this system: it protects my privacy, at least for the first message received.

I have had mine and you have had yours - with both of us reporting what we experience readers get a rounded picture. My way has been successfully keeping scammers at bay - that's all that matters. Maybe my input will be helpful to others, maybe not. So be it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most likely another Nigerian scam:

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search