Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:46
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
May 5, 2012

Hello everybody,

this morning I received an amazing (?) email from a certain Cindy hernandez, and this time with a New Jersey IP address. The amazing part about it is, I don't have a USA-based bank account.

But...read for yourselves.

Ref: UN-HABITAT05/12

After much attempts to reach you on phone, I deemed it necessary and urgent to contact you via your e-mail and to notify you finally about your outstanding compensation payment.

During our last annual calculation of your banking activities we have realized that you are eligible to receive a compensation payment of $2,811,041.00 USD.

This compensation is being made to all of you who have suffered loss as a result of fraud, accident or illness.

For more info, contact the assigned UPS agent for the delivery of your cashier check.

United Parcel Service (UPS)
Contact Name: Peter Mububa
E-mail: ups-ng1@dgoh.org

Please take note that you will pay a shipping/handling fee of $145.00 USD to UPS.

Thanks for your patience.

Hernandez Cindy
Programme Manager
United Nations Human Settlements Programme

The information in this electronic mail message is the sender's confidential business and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this internet electronic mail message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.

The sender believes that this E-mail and any attachments were free of any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This message and its attachments could have been infected during transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective and remedial action about viruses and other defects. The sender's employer is not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this message or its attachments.
­­

And yes, I'm running a virus check right now.

Stay safe!

Thayenga

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2012-05-09 21:31 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:46
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, just another kind of "phish" May 5, 2012

It looks to me like a combination of "advance payment fraud" and "phishing". Most of the recipients of such an email will immediately know it is fraudulent, or pehaps think it's a mistake and should have been sent to somebody else.
It's so cheap to send an email to hundreds of people (I think lists of valid email addresses are available for scammers to purchase) and if only 1 or 2 are fooled by it, that will be enough for the result to be a fraudulent profit for the sender (and an expensive lesson for the victim).

Oliver

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:46
English to German
+ ...
:-) May 5, 2012

Thayenga wrote:
receive a compensation payment of $2,811,041.00 USD.

Must have been that translation job that you forgot to invoice last November. About time that they finally fork over some cash.

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:46
English to Spanish
How about notifying UPS? May 5, 2012

Probably UPS will not like to see its good name involved any kind of scams.

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea May 6, 2012

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Probably UPS will not like to see its good name involved any kind of scams.

Thank you, Miguel, for this idea. Unfortunately, this email followed its natural course...straight to the bin. Or as we call it: file 13.

But I will keep your suggestion in mind for the next time.

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cool May 6, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Thayenga wrote:
receive a compensation payment of $2,811,041.00 USD.

Must have been that translation job that you forgot to invoice last November. About time that they finally fork over some cash.

So now I know where that money is coming from. You're right, it must have been the job I forgot to invoice. Sure could use this little extra cash.

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed May 6, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:

It looks to me like a combination of "advance payment fraud" and "phishing". Most of the recipients of such an email will immediately know it is fraudulent, or pehaps think it's a mistake and should have been sent to somebody else.
It's so cheap to send an email to hundreds of people (I think lists of valid email addresses are available for scammers to purchase) and if only 1 or 2 are fooled by it, that will be enough for the result to be a fraudulent profit for the sender (and an expensive lesson for the victim).

Oliver

Unfortunately, you're right. There are always people who will fall for it, for whatever rerason.

The pishing attempt failed.

Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 04:46
Member (2012)
English to Indonesian
ok May 6, 2012

Contact Name: Peter Mububa

that says it all. no racism intended.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 22:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Phishing! May 6, 2012

This has been around for a while under different names...

http://spams-hoaxes.blogspot.pt/2010/02/scam-united-nations-compensation.html

Enrique
Local time: 18:46
SITE STAFF
There are many kinds of scams May 6, 2012

In my experience there are three categories of scam targeting us as freelance translators:

a) Cheap, silly scams line the Nigerian and Dating varieties. Sensible people should delete these messages after reading the first two lines. People fall for it but it is hard to imagine how or why.

b) Request for translations from people outside the industry that really want to have us wiring money to them (overpayment, Western Union testing, etc). These are more dangerous but once you know their style and practices you can learn to detect them easily.

c) Scammers from within the industry that steals translations by impersonating real outsourcers. These are the most dangerous ones and it takes some serious risk management to protect you from them.

This is an example of a silly scam, a classic Nigerian scam. Someone writes to you without even including your full name in order to announce you that, for some exotic reason, you have been targetted for receiving millions. The only original detail here is that you are told how much they plan to steal from you:

Please take note that you will pay a shipping/handling fee of $145.00 USD to UPS.

Our best tool to protect ourselves is by working together in sharing information and raising awareness, especially for the new colleagues with less experience. This forum is a great tool, and for up-to-date news on translation scams we have developed the translators scam alert center.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) May 7, 2012

How dumb can any scammer be?

This morning I received the exact same email from the same person. Apparently they didn't realize that they had sent it to me two days ago.

Have a happy scam-free week.

Regards,
Thayenga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How generous (Staff: Nigerian scam)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search