An Old Scam under the Name of UNICEF?
Thread poster: yiyaya

yiyaya  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:55
Chinese to English
+ ...
May 24, 2012

I saw a job post saying a Chinese translator urgently needed and I did apply. A guy soon got back to me asking for my physical address, full name and best rates etc. He said that a hard copy and an e-copy of the UNICEF project of about 12500 words would be sent to me along with the pay. The domain name of this guy's email was yahoo.com, which triggered my suspicion. There were also typos and grammatical mistakes in his email.

According to him, he was from the American Educational Consultants which (I googled) is based in Ohio, whereas this guy called from NJ. The name that he was using was on the name list of the Associated Consultants on the website of American Educational Consultants. Whenever I asked if his project was for real and that he should prove that he was not a fraud, he would say he could not understand me and BTW he had very heavy accent. Most important, he was very impatient and suddenly hanged up.

Just want to share this with you. I know this kind of scam has been there for quite long. The fraud will keep changing his name and identity stolen from a real agency or org.

Take care, freelancers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An Old Scam under the Name of UNICEF?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search