Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Dr.Theresa Collins (!?!) needs Mongolian translator in Libya !!!!
Thread poster: Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 13:24
Romanian to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2012

ENQUIRY !!!
[Print]

Date:Thu, Jun 7, 2012 10:41 pm
LIBYA_REVOLUTION.doc

--
Greetings,

I'm Dr Theresa Collins from Boulevard,CA and i'll be departing to United Kingdom on a business trip tomorrow.However,i will need your service to translate some documents for me.I need to make a presentation to some groups of Mongolian speaking people in Libya on the 10th of July,2012.I will need you to translate t
... See more
ENQUIRY !!!
[Print]

Date:Thu, Jun 7, 2012 10:41 pm
LIBYA_REVOLUTION.doc

--
Greetings,

I'm Dr Theresa Collins from Boulevard,CA and i'll be departing to United Kingdom on a business trip tomorrow.However,i will need your service to translate some documents for me.I need to make a presentation to some groups of Mongolian speaking people in Libya on the 10th of July,2012.I will need you to translate the papers from English to Mongolian so each of my audience can have a copy in Mongolian language and they can follow through.I will also need the work to be delivered before July 5th,2012.looking forward to hear back from you soon.

Let me know your rate and charges.Presentation is attached.

Dr T Collins
817-484-6686

Be aware ! Fresh off the internet !

Lee

[Edited at 2012-06-08 10:54 GMT]
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
and Spanish Jun 8, 2012

I just received a request from a Dr. Theresa Collins for translation of 13 pages to Spanish,
also for presentation in Libya, which I find odd.
I did a google search for this Dr. Collins, which brought me to this forum post.
Odd indeed.

You'd think someone trying to scam translators would at least make the effort to make sure their requested languages had some correlation with their supposed destination.
I can only wonder if she was going to propose sending me
... See more
I just received a request from a Dr. Theresa Collins for translation of 13 pages to Spanish,
also for presentation in Libya, which I find odd.
I did a google search for this Dr. Collins, which brought me to this forum post.
Odd indeed.

You'd think someone trying to scam translators would at least make the effort to make sure their requested languages had some correlation with their supposed destination.
I can only wonder if she was going to propose sending me a check for an amount greater than my charges, with a request that I forward part of such sums to some other entity...
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scam Jun 8, 2012

The "Boulevard, CA" address is being used a lot lately in this type of scam emails.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:24
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
This is a well known scam Jun 8, 2012

You will find Theresa Collins in this scam alert report. This is indeed an overpayment scam where you receive a fake check for an amount larger than agreed upon and you are asked to wire the difference to another scammer.

ProZ.
... See more
You will find Theresa Collins in this scam alert report. This is indeed an overpayment scam where you receive a fake check for an amount larger than agreed upon and you are asked to wire the difference to another scammer.

ProZ.com members can subscribe to the translators scam alerts center to receive all alerts or a weekly digest.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Nadia Lamas
Nadia Lamas  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
strangest translation job ever Jun 8, 2012

I also got this message searching for a Portuguese translator. Since the beginning I knew it wasn´t serious as I had received a similar message about Egypt a few months ago. I wonder what they intend with this: to know your mail address for some reason? I think they could get this from ATA website. To have an idea of translation rates? What´s the purpose after all?

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Overpayment scam Jun 8, 2012

Nadia Lamas wrote:

I also got this message searching for a Portuguese translator. Since the beginning I knew it wasn´t serious as I had received a similar message about Egypt a few months ago. I wonder what they intend with this: to know your mail address for some reason? I think they could get this from ATA website. To have an idea of translation rates? What´s the purpose after all?

Hi Nadia,

This is a classic overpayment scam, described here.

Regards,
Enrique

OSWALDO MESIAS
OSWALDO MESIAS  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 12:24
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In Spanish also.. Jun 10, 2012

Dear all:
I have just received the same, for a translation into Spanish. It looks suspicious and there is no attachment as offered. Thanks for confirming it is not real.
Regards,
Oswaldo Mesias
QUito, Ecuador

V_Payuk
V_Payuk
Local time: 12:24
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Into Russian Jun 10, 2012

I've got similar request, to translate into Russian.

Dr. Theresa Collin's Scam Jun 12, 2012

Hello
My name is Hope Simon and I am an American Sign Language Interpreter. I live in Southern California. I was contacted the same way (I wish I would have googled her.) Anyway, I fell for her scam and she stole from me $3,800. I have a report with the local police and with the FBI but if any of you have any more info on her that can help me find her so I can get my money back that would be great. Please spread the word. Some other names that were used with her scam are Evelyn Chan, and I
... See more
Hello
My name is Hope Simon and I am an American Sign Language Interpreter. I live in Southern California. I was contacted the same way (I wish I would have googled her.) Anyway, I fell for her scam and she stole from me $3,800. I have a report with the local police and with the FBI but if any of you have any more info on her that can help me find her so I can get my money back that would be great. Please spread the word. Some other names that were used with her scam are Evelyn Chan, and I believe they stole the check book of a Phyllis Kamps (that is whos check was used.)
Thanks Hope Simon CI/CT, NAD V
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Hope Simon Jun 13, 2012

Sorry to hear that. The reason we post these scams is to warn our fellow colleagues about the latest scam attempt.
Your case seems (from the outside) to be very particular. From your post I understand that you are an ASL interpreter. "Dr.Collins" needs a translator for Libya. Could you be more specific how did she scam you ? Was it an overpayment ?
Maybe you should post your correspondence with her in order to warn others.

Thank you,
Lee

María Peluffo
María Peluffo  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
DANGEROUS SCAM Jun 23, 2012

DEAR ALL,

I RECEIVED EXACTLY THE SAME MAIL AND AFTER OPENING HER FILE I GOT A HUGE VIRUS, WHICH ENCRYPTED ALL MY FILES. IT WAS REALLY A NIGHTMARE!!! THERE WAS NO WAY OF RECOVERING ALL THE INFORMATION. I GOT A LARGER CHECK FROM CA AS WELL, FROM SUMMIT CREDIT CORPORATION. I CALLED SUMMIT AND THEY TOLD ME IT WAS A FRAUD AND THAT THEY ALREADY HAD PEOPLE REPORTING ON THE SAME THING.
PLEASE DON´T OPEN THE LYBIA .DOC COMING FROM "THERESA COLLINS".

I CAN´T BELIEVE THER
... See more
DEAR ALL,

I RECEIVED EXACTLY THE SAME MAIL AND AFTER OPENING HER FILE I GOT A HUGE VIRUS, WHICH ENCRYPTED ALL MY FILES. IT WAS REALLY A NIGHTMARE!!! THERE WAS NO WAY OF RECOVERING ALL THE INFORMATION. I GOT A LARGER CHECK FROM CA AS WELL, FROM SUMMIT CREDIT CORPORATION. I CALLED SUMMIT AND THEY TOLD ME IT WAS A FRAUD AND THAT THEY ALREADY HAD PEOPLE REPORTING ON THE SAME THING.
PLEASE DON´T OPEN THE LYBIA .DOC COMING FROM "THERESA COLLINS".

I CAN´T BELIEVE THERE´S SOMEONE CAPABLE OF DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS WITH HARDWORKERS LIKE US!

GREETINGS,

MARÍA LUCÍA PELUFFO
Collapse

María Peluffo
María Peluffo  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
DANGEROUS SCAM Jun 23, 2012

p.s. the check coming from CA was for 3,800 USD. I shredded it and put it in the trash after calling Summit.
Worse of all, this person has been sending me text messages to my cell phone asking me how is the translation going at 2 AM!!!

[Edited at 2012-06-23 22:55 GMT]

SuzanneNievaart
SuzanneNievaart  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mario Bortolo, Italy Jul 2, 2012

I have received a similar scam, I am afraid.
I replied to a translation job from French to English advertised here on Proz.
The initial correspondence was normal, and Mario Bortolo hired me as a translator, agreeing to my quote of $800.
He then offered me a 50% down payment, which I find strange, as this is unusual.
So I said ok, I accept paypal and moneybookers.
He said no, he could only send a check.
Well, I have received checks from agencies in the past
... See more
I have received a similar scam, I am afraid.
I replied to a translation job from French to English advertised here on Proz.
The initial correspondence was normal, and Mario Bortolo hired me as a translator, agreeing to my quote of $800.
He then offered me a 50% down payment, which I find strange, as this is unusual.
So I said ok, I accept paypal and moneybookers.
He said no, he could only send a check.
Well, I have received checks from agencies in the past, without a problem, although not my preference, I decided to hold off on translating until I received and successfully had cashed the check.
He had given me a deadline of three weeks for it anyway.
Now he said that his client sent me a check for $3000 and that I should keep the full amount for the translation, which was $800 and he would instruct me on how to return the rest.
I refused, I said I would not accept the check, that he would have to pay by other means instead, or find another translator. I said I do not trust it, as nobody overpays.
Here is the information I have on the scammer:

MARIO BORTOLO Italy
[email protected]
IP: 79.52.175.130
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Suzanne, Jul 2, 2012

it is a classic overpayment scam.

Not too long ago he posted :
Job 19145: English to German text

www.translationdirectory.com/job_00019145.php

5 days ago ... Delete this ad from the site after the deadline for applying. MARIO BORTOLO Italy mario.bortolo at yahoo.com. IP: 79.52.175.130 (Palermo, Italy) ...

Read Enrique's
... See more
it is a classic overpayment scam.

Not too long ago he posted :
Job 19145: English to German text

www.translationdirectory.com/job_00019145.php

5 days ago ... Delete this ad from the site after the deadline for applying. MARIO BORTOLO Italy mario.bortolo at yahoo.com. IP: 79.52.175.130 (Palermo, Italy) ...

Read Enrique's post.

Stay safe,
Lee
Collapse

Rob Latchford
Rob Latchford
Canada
Local time: 10:24
French to English
+ ...
Mario still at it Jul 11, 2012

I too was caught by Mario Bortolo.
Luckily it didn't get very far and I only lost some time starting translation on the piece he sent.
This particular scammer seems to be writing quite personalised emails, so it's not immediately obvious he's a scammer.
I became wary when he wanted to send a cheque, and then stopped replying to me when I suggested PayPal.

In the absence of a blue board entry for him, I did as much googling around to get some information on him befo
... See more
I too was caught by Mario Bortolo.
Luckily it didn't get very far and I only lost some time starting translation on the piece he sent.
This particular scammer seems to be writing quite personalised emails, so it's not immediately obvious he's a scammer.
I became wary when he wanted to send a cheque, and then stopped replying to me when I suggested PayPal.

In the absence of a blue board entry for him, I did as much googling around to get some information on him before I started work, I even looked up his address in Italy which he gave me (certainly not his real address unless he's very stupid). Nothing was immediately worrying. This was before I found Suzanne's post on a subsequent search.

From now on, I will be even more careful with sounding out the client and getting as much information as I can from them. It sounds like he was scared off after my questions, as I'm sure most scammers would be. Genuine clients should be happy to answers lots of questions and try to get to know you as much as possible over email.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dr.Theresa Collins (!?!) needs Mongolian translator in Libya !!!!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »