Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:16
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2012

Yesterday I was asked to translate the Spanish classic "Zalacaín el Aventurero," which I remembered from Spanish class decades ago. I found an existing translation on the Internet and told the client the book could be purchased at Amazon.com, giving him the link. This is the answer I got back:

"My client does not want this so called Amazon.com translations. He required the text being done by a pro."

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 00:16
Member (2011)
English to German
Interesting... Jun 23, 2012

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

"My client does not want this so called Amazon.com translations. He required the text being done by a pro."

Did you get the job?

Sylvie Chartier
Sylvie Chartier  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Curious Jun 24, 2012

I'm as curious as Marina, did you get the mandate to translate the book ???

Juan Pablo Sans
Juan Pablo Sans  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Take it Jun 24, 2012

If he wants it like that, take it, I suggest

[Editado a las 2012-06-24 04:20 GMT]

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:16
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Translations by Amazon? Jun 24, 2012

To my knowledge, Amazon does not make any translations. The book suggested by Muriel was probably translated by a pro. As far as the client is concerned, there is no guarantee that this translation will be better than the existing book. Of course, the client is not even aware of these facts.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not necessarily Jun 24, 2012

My wife uses an e-book and the translations you get out there for many books are atrocious. What I think the customer wants to say is that they don't want one of those e-book translations done by... who knows!! (I am talking about English-Spanish.)

nuvo
nuvo
Indonesia
Local time: 11:16
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Amazon does not translate Jun 24, 2012

I had a few experiences translating e-books to be sold at Amazon. However, it was not Amazon who gave me the job. It was the author. So, we may have the assumption for your case

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 06:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have had exactly the same correspondence Jun 24, 2012

Very dodgy translation request, to which I replied that I would give a quote if, amongst other things, he ("Lawrence") gave me company details. No company mentioned of course, but he sent the text, and I too suggested he look on Amazon where he could find a translation.

The reply was that
"We needed something a bit different from this translated work."

If this was a translation of a literary work, why didn't he present it as such?

Strange....

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Scam Jun 24, 2012

This looks like just another scam attempt.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
The author's permission Jun 24, 2012

The person who approached you with the request to translate the book for him needs the author's permission to do that if the author is alive,otherwise from the person who holds the copyrights. Otherwise you may both end up in jail. Maybe I am exaggerating, but you may get in a lot of trouble.

Muriel Vasconcellos
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Follow-up Jun 24, 2012

Interesting that Noni had the same experience! I assumed he thought that Amazon.com was machine translation. I didn't think it was a scam--just a case of colossal ignorance.

I sent him the translator's credentials and repeated that the book was available for purchase (giving him the Amazon link once again).

I had already refused to do the job, and I refused again.

Alvin Ang
Alvin Ang

Local time: 12:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
ethical Jun 25, 2012

I think you are pretty ethical in that sense, at least not going to duplicate the effort in the translation which is already done by a professional.

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 05:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Amazon.com is going into translation Jun 25, 2012

Whether or not this is the case here, Amazon.com has in fact introduced its own imprint called AmazonCrossing for publishing translated books. You can read about it here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/19/amazon-to-publish-foreign_n_581595.html

I'm not sure what conditions they are offering and who they are approaching as tr
... See more
Whether or not this is the case here, Amazon.com has in fact introduced its own imprint called AmazonCrossing for publishing translated books. You can read about it here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/19/amazon-to-publish-foreign_n_581595.html

I'm not sure what conditions they are offering and who they are approaching as translators. There has been some debate about this in the UK Translators Association of the Society of Authors.
Collapse

Amazon sells books, not translations Jul 10, 2012

As an editor I'm using Amazon.com and here especially their createspace feature. There is nothing about translations there. I'm working with independent translators (German-English) and then bring books to the market via createspace.

Muriel Vasconcellos
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I posted this as a joke Jul 12, 2012

When I received the e-mail, I thought it was terribly funny that the person requesting translation services didn't realize I was referring to a published book and assumed that I was sending them to machine translation. I wanted to share the experience as a joke, but the site managers chose to post it under scams. I never intended to start a serious discussion.

[Edited at 2012-07-12 06:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translations by "Amazon.com"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »