Thread poster: Silpay

Silpay  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 01:14
Dutch to French
+ ...
Jul 1, 2012

Dear All,

I am a free-lance interpreter. I have answered to the post to interpret in Canada ( Ontario) for a 3 days programme.
After having my quote accepted, I noticed that no billing address was mentionned.
It would be payed by cheque. Besides the supposed venue where the interpreting would take place was not found at all. As I mentionned that no payment can be done by cheque but through invoicing, I did not receive any answer anymore and the post is closed now.

[Edited at 2012-07-01 08:29 GMT]

Marta Karchnakova  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Slovak to English
+ ...
Is it a serious partner? Jul 1, 2012

Hi,
when did you write them? If I found myself in such a situation, I would await for reply 2 days maximum, then I would move on and forget all about it. A serious partner replies my e-mails and does not hide. Also, read this one: http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Detecting_and_reacting_to_false_job_offers_and_other_scams

Belgium
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply to Marta Jul 1, 2012

No it was not serious. I got a reply very quickly and several email with quote accepted etc... until I further asked for details on the programme's agenda. Meanwhile, I checked myself and there was nothing planned in that hotel, so I clearly understood. Besides, it was requested to interpret from EN into FR only for the client and found it strange that the language used for email communication was ENGLISH and supposedly based in Sweden.....

[Edited at 2012-07-01 19:04 GMT]

Odette Grille  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:14
English to French
+ ...
I feel less alone Jul 2, 2012

Silpay wrote:

Dear All,

I am a free-lance interpreter. I have answered to the post to interpret in Canada ( Ontario) for a 3 days programme.
After having my quote accepted, I noticed that no billing address was mentionned.
It would be payed by cheque. Besides the supposed venue where the interpreting would take place was not found at all. As I mentionned that no payment can be done by cheque but through invoicing, I did not receive any answer anymore and the post is closed now.

[Edited at 2012-07-01 08:29 GMT]

I answered the same job offer and just received a call which allowed me to tell the psudo-client I cancelled the whole thing and thought it was a scam.
A classical overpayment scam. If you check the IP address, it is in South Africa and the guy is supposed to be in Sweden. I was advised to send a support ticket with more info.
I will. May be you should do the same so staff can look into this.
Take care
Ode

Odette Grille  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:14
English to French
+ ...
Same story Jul 2, 2012

Silpay wrote:

No it was not serious. I got a reply very quickly and several email with quote accepted etc... until I further asked for details on the programme's agenda. Meanwhile, I checked myself and there was nothing planned in that hotel, so I clearly understood. Besides, it was requested to interpret from EN into FR only for the client and found it strange that the language used for email communication was ENGLISH and supposedly based in Sweden.....

[Edited at 2012-07-01 19:04 GMT]

... Except I am much more stupid and reserved a room quickly at the hotel where only 3 were left. Of course I cancelled that after checking the IP address but as I said on other forum, I checked things in the wrong order. I just got a phone call from the pseudo-client apologizing for not telling me he travelled a lot, thus the IP from Sout Africa when writing from Sweden, supposedly... I told him straight I believed this was a scam and checked my e-mail only to find a classic overpayment scam
Hello Ode,

I glad to inform you that i have received confirmation from my associate that payment has been mailed out by mail to your address at 12noon local time but unfortunately my associate mailed out my the entire payment with him which is $3500.

Please you are advise, confirm to me as soon as you receive the payment the amount. I will provide you with how to go about the balance and also you will keep the money you needed for the hotel and transportion . I honestly look forward to a fruitful and long partnership.

You will receive the payment next week. Thank you

Regards

Belgium
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
interpreting in Canada Jul 2, 2012

I do not mind sending a ticket with more details but how do I do exactly. I definitely think that such messages should be severely punished.
Here is the last conversation :

"client" :
"All you will be doing for me is to interpret from English to French without interpreting back. Consecutive interpretation will be okay for such purpose i guess conference. The venue is Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, Ontario.

I agree to your price and if there is any changes or anything arise,there will be no problem paying you.Plane ticket to be booked in advance for you. Part payment will be paid to you by my client to reserve this spot for me from your schedule.

you can make out invoice if you want on this information

Full Name:Jones Micheal
Full Address:dalagatan 36
City: stockholm
Zip code: 11324

Kindly get back to me with the following information for payment.

Name to be written on the Cheque
Your full address to send the Cheque
Phone Number

Regards"

My answer :

"I understand I need to interpret into french consecutive. No problem, but what is the topic ? Who is your client ? Can I have the agenda of the 3 days' programme ? I have checked on the venue for any event on these dates but did not find anything...

The payment can not be done through cheque but through invoicing. If your client is going to pay partly, I need to have the amount + VAT number and invoicing details. Do you have a VAT number ?"

NO answer afterwards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

interpreting in Canada

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search