Another scam - Dear Colleagues, Please be extra-careful
Thread poster: Ana Myriam Garro (X)

Ana Myriam Garro (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 8, 2012

I would like to share with you something awful that happened to me a couple of days ago .

As many of you, I did not only register in Proz.com but in other sites as well, and in June I bid for a translation job posted in another site. The bid was to be sent to the email provided by the outsourcer and the CV was required to be attached to the email. The day before yesterday a translation agency sent me an email asking me if that day I had answered their post with my CV because they had received an email which they mistrusted and after my answer, they were kind enough to send me the mail that they have received from “me” which included the cover letter that I had sent in June to what I thought was a translation agency and also my CV in word format, where my email address had been changed. I was really shocked when I saw that and honestly felt scared that it might have been previously used either by any unscrupulous translator or translation agency which then outsources the translation for an unreasonably low price. When I sent my complaint to the site explaining what had happened, I was told that they were aware that this was happening but that they couldn’t do anything.

In short, this post is only to warn all my colleagues around the world to be very careful. I repeat that this didn’t happen to me in Proz.com, but nevertheless, please be aware that this is happening and it is very disgusting to find out that your name and information is being used by someone else. Thanks for reading this post and good luck to you all.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:57
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Many thanks for this information Aug 8, 2012

Please kindly submit a support request and provide the site staff as much information about this scam as you can.

Natalia

english-germ (X)
Local time: 06:57
English to German
+ ...
unsolicited translator applications Aug 8, 2012

I keep receiving unsolicited translator applications as SPAM to my private e-mail address and wondered if this had anything to do with this scam.

The strange thing about the unsolicited e-mails with CVs was, that the original e-mails never included my e-mail address as receiver and so seemed to come "out of nowhere" into my box. I have not responded to any of these e-mails as they may be forged.

Someone is apparently trying to fish jobs, cvs, details or whatever... at least in an irregular fashion.

I deleted the unsolicited e-mails and cvs.

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Scam alert just posted Aug 8, 2012

Hello all,

Thanks for bringing this to colleagues' attention and for providing details.

I invite you to check my recent post on this scammer available at http://www.proz.com/topic/230462

Please feel free to use the support center or that threat to provide further details. Thanks again!

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another scam - Dear Colleagues, Please be extra-careful

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search