https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/230816-someone_pretending_to_be_me_to_apply_for_projects.html

Someone pretending to be me to apply for projects
Thread poster: Bianca Coggiola
Bianca Coggiola
Bianca Coggiola
Brazil
Local time: 11:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 15, 2012

Hello everyone!

I'm a bit shocked and worried as it was brought to my attention today (by a PM of an agency I never worked for) that someone is pretending to be me, using my CV and cover letter trying to apply for projects. This person has created two different email addresses (Gmail and Hotmail) using my name and last name (I use a paid email service).

Has this happened to anyone here? What should I do? Seek assistance directly with Gmail and Hotmail? Police? I'm in th
... See more
Hello everyone!

I'm a bit shocked and worried as it was brought to my attention today (by a PM of an agency I never worked for) that someone is pretending to be me, using my CV and cover letter trying to apply for projects. This person has created two different email addresses (Gmail and Hotmail) using my name and last name (I use a paid email service).

Has this happened to anyone here? What should I do? Seek assistance directly with Gmail and Hotmail? Police? I'm in the US, but I guess this person is in Brazil, as he/she is trying to pose as a ENG>PT translator.

I'm worried that this might tamper my reputation with agencies, as what probably lit a red light for the PM is that the second e-mail written by this person was barely English. ):

Thank you very much for any help!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2012-08-15 13:10 GMT]
Collapse

Bianca Coggiola
Bianca Coggiola
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just saw a topic about the subject Aug 15, 2012

Sorry for that, I got so worried that my first impulse was to seek some help here and I didn't see that the subject is already being discussed in a recent topic.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:30
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What a nightmare. Aug 15, 2012

If I were you, I would add a message on your website. Any new client that this person will try to acquire by help of your information might check your website. A big fat red warning sign in this regard could be helpful.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since a day
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The author of the initial post has been asked to re-post in English
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Could you put in a support request with the details? Aug 15, 2012

Hello Bianca,

Can I ask you to submit a support request at http://www.proz.com/support/ , and include all the details you have on the matter? It may be a good idea to have site staff look into this and see if any action is possible on this end. Thanks!

Jared

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Someone pretending to be me to apply for projects

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »