ALERT ON SCAM OUTSOURCERS
Thread poster: Ana Costa

Ana Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:36
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2012

Following the alert I received this afternoon about my profile description being attached to another member's cv and being sent who knows where, I decided to make a search on some of my clients IPs and discovered some companies that have been contacting me from the Middle East are scam companies

According to google info, I managed to trace the IPs and found out that some of the companies are located in Nigeria, known to be scam.

So, here is a tip. Check your outsourcers IP at http://www.iphacks.com/?gclid=COC9hcq6_LECFWUntAodFW0A7Q

and you'll know if they are serious or not.

[Edited at 2012-08-23 00:21 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Eveline Quipipa-Dias  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:36
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Helpful Link Aug 23, 2012

Thank you Ana,

very helpful link indeed. With kind regards,

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
So sorry this happened to you. Aug 23, 2012

Now I'm doubly glad I never put any identifying information on my profile. There have been times when I thought that I was being overly cautious not using my real name. I know all the arguments for and against it in our profession, and perhaps I am losing out on opportunities, but with the huge influx of translation-related scams in the last few months, I have no regrets. Luckily I have plenty of work so if I am missing out on work, that's not a major problem. It's really a shame it has to be that way.

I hope you can get your unpleasant situation resolved. What a nasty mess!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Another IP-source link Aug 23, 2012

The paying ProZ.com members can also track an IP address through their visitors' page and from there, clicking on the visitor's IP address, get to this site:

http://www.melissadata.com/Lookups/iplocation.asp?ipaddress

Stay safe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ALERT ON SCAM OUTSOURCERS

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search