Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 1, 2012

G'day everyone

I just got fooled by a URL tooltip scam e-mail (though fortunately my browser blocked the site the moment I clicked the link). I'm sure I must have known about this trick but for one short moment I forgot about it, and clicked the link. The scammer's trick is to use a fake URL as the link's tooltip text, so if the user forgets to check his browser's status bar for the real URL, he might think the tooltip is the real URL. See screenshot (the fake link popped up when I held my mouse over the link):

Samuel

[Edited at 2012-10-01 06:38 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:07
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Thanks ... Oct 1, 2012

... for the very useful reminder, Samuel.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Watch out for URL tooltip scams

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search