Thread poster: Juliane Richter
Juliane Richter
Juliane Richter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:27
English to German
+ ...
Oct 3, 2012

I'm quite amused about a translation agency from India, sending me job offers every 2 or 3 weeks.

I must say, that I have never registered to be part of their pool of translators.

The first job offers I received from them were translations at ridiculous low rates, so I refused them.

Later the project manager became more personal, he wrote in his emails "Dear Juliane" instead of "Dear translator", and always asked for a free sample translation of about 800-1
... See more
I'm quite amused about a translation agency from India, sending me job offers every 2 or 3 weeks.

I must say, that I have never registered to be part of their pool of translators.

The first job offers I received from them were translations at ridiculous low rates, so I refused them.

Later the project manager became more personal, he wrote in his emails "Dear Juliane" instead of "Dear translator", and always asked for a free sample translation of about 800-1000 words for a client. This client would then, if my translation is good, let me translate up to 50000 words of a project.

I used to reply, that I would do a test translation, if it is paid, and that I don't do those large tests for free.

Now I received another email from this agency, which I found quite tricky. The project manager sent me a translated document and asked me to read it and already mark the major mistakes and send my correction back to him. He would then decide, if the translation has to be proofread or not, and would pay me (if a "complete" proofreading would be necessary) a good rate, which I have never seen from this agency before.

In my view those people just try to get the work done for free. I hope, other translators don't fall into these traps.
Collapse

Anne R
Anne R
Italy
English to French
+ ...
waste of time Oct 3, 2012

Hello,

I too got a few of these emails, but the rates are too low, I did not waste time to reply, and they ceased writing to me.

Not replying is probably the best answer you can give and it won't waste your time.
Regards,
Anne

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Report them to the site staff Oct 3, 2012

by submitting a support request and attach the message.

Natalia

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Clever! Oct 3, 2012

Juliane Richter wrote:

In my view those people just try to get the work done for free. I hope, other translators don't fall into these traps.

Not only in your view, Juliane. This is sooo obvious. I wouldn't even bother to reply to them anymore. After all, time is money.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Work free of charge

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »