Thread poster: George Trail

George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:56
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2012

This is not a business scam as such, but I keep getting sent unsolicited emails which I'm supposed to believe are from Rosetta Stone. They offer me a chance to learn a new language but I dare not click on the links they include in case it installs a virus on my computer. Have other translators on ProZ received these emails?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:56
French to English
+ ...
None here; spam = bin it Nov 29, 2012

Sounds to me like just ordinary spam, rather than specifically a scam; certainly don't click on any link, though it can be instructive to simply hover your mouse over it (without clicking!) and see what ACTUAL address appears for it in your browser's status bar (often at bottom left) — that will tell you the REAL URL to which the address points, and is often revelatory!

Either way, I wouldn't waste a moment's thought on it and would simply delete on sight.

Laura Mussutto  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:56
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
block address/mark it as spam Nov 29, 2012

If the emails are frequent and you think they're spam, just block the address or mark them as spam. This way, your system knows exactly what to do with them and they'll be out of your sight!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rosetta Stone emails - scam?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search