Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:05
English to French
+ ...
Jan 4, 2013

Hi,

a few days ago I received a work proposal from a guy who had created a profile on Proz, and who deleted it immediately after.

The guy introduced himself as a "student from Auckland" who needed help with his French classes, he didn't say his name, his messages were incoherent and illiterate.

Today I received several calls from an unknown guy, speaking in English with a strong foreign accent. I recognized my former mail sender from the speech patterns.... See more
Hi,

a few days ago I received a work proposal from a guy who had created a profile on Proz, and who deleted it immediately after.

The guy introduced himself as a "student from Auckland" who needed help with his French classes, he didn't say his name, his messages were incoherent and illiterate.

Today I received several calls from an unknown guy, speaking in English with a strong foreign accent. I recognized my former mail sender from the speech patterns.

This guy thinks I am sleeping with his his girl-friend whom he calls "Olga XXX" (XXX is from me). He promised to "kick my ass". I have never heard of that "Olga".

Now the phone is ringing regularly and I don't answer. He wants to know exactly where I am.

This will be transmitted to police tomorrow when offices open, but I thought it would be useful to warn the community on Proz.

[Edited at 2013-01-06 22:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-06 22:09 GMT]
Collapse

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
to warn about what? Jan 7, 2013

I don't know Olga.

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:05
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Olga D. Jan 7, 2013

Today I received an email from Olga Dxxxxxi (xxxxx are mine) stating that she had transferred a big amount of money to my bank account and asking for me, please please, transfer it back, because it had been an error of her assistant.

All of that was written in very bad Portuguese (as my English, or worst).

Maybe she is the same Olga?

P.

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:05
German to English
+ ...
@ Arnaud Jan 7, 2013

Having read the French thread you started on this subject, I would also urge you to contact the police, as you intend to do. What starts out as a possible attempt to frighten or harrass you might end in an attempt at extortion or stalking behaviour, though it is probable that this person is not in the same country as you (checking the ISP should give you that information). Anyway, it is far better to lodge information with the police before it escalates. Your phone provider might also be able to... See more
Having read the French thread you started on this subject, I would also urge you to contact the police, as you intend to do. What starts out as a possible attempt to frighten or harrass you might end in an attempt at extortion or stalking behaviour, though it is probable that this person is not in the same country as you (checking the ISP should give you that information). Anyway, it is far better to lodge information with the police before it escalates. Your phone provider might also be able to assist you with identifying where the calls come from, even if the caller has withheld his number. The following links apply to the UK, but there are probably similar services available in your country. Anyway, I hope you might find something useful in them:

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/10/abusive-and-threatening-calls/

http://www.bt.com/includingyou/calling-easier-unwanted-calls.html?s_cid=con_FURL_unwantedcalls#more2

Best of luck

Helen

[Edited at 2013-01-07 22:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-07 22:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-07 22:17 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Go to the police immediately Jan 8, 2013

Helen Shiner wrote:
Having read the French thread you started on this subject, I would also urge you to contact the police, as you intend to do. What starts out as a possible attempt to frighten or harrass you might end in an attempt at extortion or stalking behaviour, though it is probable that this person is not in the same country as you (checking the ISP should give you that information).

I would say our colleague is already being stalked.

To the original poster: indeed, print out all emails (if possible including their headers) go to the police now with all that before anything else happens. Take detailed notes of all the times you have been called. Unless the police advises otherwise, I would also advise to pick up the phone every time and let the person know --every time he rings, if he keeps doing it-- that you have reported the matter to the police and that calls are being tracked.

I would say the harassment will disappear pretty soon, but you will have taken an intelligent step forward by getting a police report just in case.

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:05
German to English
+ ...
@Tomás Jan 8, 2013

Yes, he is certainly being cyber-stalked and phone-stalked. Let's hope it doesn't come to stalking per se.

I would say though, that if the police have any chance of tracking him down and preventing him doing this to anyone else, it is probably better not to react (or indeed to tell him the police are on to him), but just to gather material to assist any investigation. Anyway, the police or Arnaud's phone service provider will advise him as to the best way forward.

[Edited at
... See more
Yes, he is certainly being cyber-stalked and phone-stalked. Let's hope it doesn't come to stalking per se.

I would say though, that if the police have any chance of tracking him down and preventing him doing this to anyone else, it is probably better not to react (or indeed to tell him the police are on to him), but just to gather material to assist any investigation. Anyway, the police or Arnaud's phone service provider will advise him as to the best way forward.

[Edited at 2013-01-08 12:04 GMT]
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:05
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
It's so sad Jan 9, 2013

that the world has gone this crazy...

Since the recent computer ages, I come across this kind of weird stories and psychopaths everywhere.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Phone harassment about alleged "girl-friend"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »