Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
I have worked for an outsourcer that disappeared
Thread poster: felicij

felicij  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:57
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Jan 4, 2013

The outsourcer skylinetower-translations I have worked for simply stopped answering my emails after assuring me that he paid the agreed amount. I find it unusual since everything was normal.
I cannot find any other information (positive or negative).
Has anyone conducted any business with them?
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Timote Suladze  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:57
Italian to Russian
+ ...
... Jan 5, 2013

Try to phone to them.

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:57
English to Dutch
+ ...
It happens... Jan 5, 2013

..a lot. There is an address on their ProZ profile page, but anyone can write any old address on their profile page. Their website is quite elaborate, which seems a good thing, but the website was set up last October. Also all text on their website seems copied from other websites.

They mention the old name of their company "Chinese Translation Services" but that name appears nowhere as a company.

It doesn't look good. You may have been scammed.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Looks like a scam Jan 5, 2013

Indeed it does not look good at all.

It is always critical to make sure that an Internet customer is legitimate (by researching them thoroughly beforehand) before doing any work for them.

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:57
Chinese to English
Hong Kong company with no Chinese website? Seems unlikely Jan 5, 2013

I have to agree with Tomas. Any real HK company would have a Chinese version of their website up. This looks fake.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Web site content copied from Caucasus Jan 5, 2013

felicij wrote:
The outsourcer Skylinetower-Translations I have worked for simply stopped answering my emails.

All of the links at the bottom of their web site are dead links. All of the working pages are word for word copies (except with names changed) of that of Caucasus Translations.

I'm fairly certain that Skyline copied from Caucasus, because... the time zone indicated on both web sites is CET (Central European Time), but only Caucasus is located in or near that time zone. Check out the last line of the "Contact us" page.

The fact that a web designer stole wording from one site and copied it to another site is not proof of a scam, but the fact that the time zone is wrong would surely have been picked up by the agency if they had had a look at the web site after it was designed.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Did you call their number? Jan 5, 2013

I tried to call the number listed on their website and it does not work... Thank you for letting us know, sorry you fell for it, this was really difficult to figure out, but I guess next time we all have to try and call new agencies telephone numbers, just to see if they exist at all...

German to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just as I thought Jan 5, 2013

as it hasn't happened to me before, I was pretty confident that a company email and a working telephone number (at first) are sufficient. The thing that bothered me the most was the fact that our business cooperation was long over when we were discussing how the payment didn't get through and he asked me whether I have an alternative...
After I got suspicious, I checked the email header and it returned that the origin of the email was the Netherlands. But still I am not certain if it is a scam or not, I simply wanted to know if I was the only one that they emailed...
Thank you all, guess I have to be even more careful the next time and check every single thing about the outsourcer...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Of course! Jan 6, 2013

felicij wrote:
Thank you all, guess I have to be even more careful the next time and check every single thing about the outsourcer...

Absolutely. Unfortunately there are a few pirates operating in the Internet and using other people's data in order to look legitimate. It is absolutely critical to check it all and, in case of the tiniest doubt about the contact's honesty, drop the job altogether.

Proz.com's Wiki contains a section you might want to read, about qualifying new customers before working for them. You definitely want to remember the recommendations in point 1.

Good luck!

mauritian
Local time: 15:57
French to English
payments Jan 6, 2013

Working online

Its always better to ask for payment terms upfront & wait till you get first payment to go on volumes. I have done many clients. some of them just disappear, or they just give you any negative remarks that you work is not good. that's excusing themselves for not paying you. Some even have given me legal remarks, so i as do not go further.

I have been working online since two years; and i found some bad clients. they opt not to pay at first, and they build up a lot of excuses, of legally not pay it.

Some of my clients, referred above, are not merely on proz.com; i do not accuse any person. But as i've worked 2 years online, i just ask to friends: take precautions when you are working on the first time with a client.

What i do is: I ask them my method "milestone payment": 1-2 pages, pay. 1-10 pages pay. then 50 pages pay. then monthly payments.

Its my experience, and not all clients are bad; we've had good relations online, working also.

I'm available if you want to contact me, advice to online trading.

Best regards
Yasir Nabee.
Consultant.
Bsc(Hons)-Technology Management & Computing
Mauritius.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

felicij wrote:

Absolutely. Unfortunately there are a few pirates operating in the Internet and using other people's data in order to look legitimate. It is absolutely critical to check it all and, in case of the tiniest doubt about the contact's honesty, drop the job altogether.

Proz.com's Wiki contains a section you might want to read, about qualifying new customers before working for them. You definitely want to remember the recommendations in point 1.

Good luck!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Other reasons Jan 6, 2013

mauritian wrote:

Working online

Its always better to ask for payment terms upfront & wait till you get first payment to go on volumes. I have done many clients. some of them just disappear, or they just give you any negative remarks that you work is not good. that's excusing themselves for not paying you. Some even have given me legal remarks, so i as do not go further.

I have been working online since two years; and i found some bad clients. they opt not to pay at first, and they build up a lot of excuses, of legally not pay it.

Some of my clients, referred above, are not merely on proz.com; i do not accuse any person. But as i've worked 2 years online, i just ask to friends: take precautions when you are working on the first time with a client.

What i do is: I ask them my method "milestone payment": 1-2 pages, pay. 1-10 pages pay. then 50 pages pay. then monthly payments.

Its my experience, and not all clients are bad; we've had good relations online, working also.

I'm available if you want to contact me, advice to online trading.

Best regards
Yasir Nabee.
Consultant.
Bsc(Hons)-Technology Management & Computing
Mauritius.

If a translator claims to be able to translate into English (or into any other language)
I would think that before entrusting work to them, a responsible agency would carefully verify that their English (or any other language in which they claim to be proficient) is of an acceptable standard.

An agency's failure to pay may not necessarily just be an excuse for not paying. It is possible that the translator may genuinely not have done a good job.

However, just "disappearing" sounds strange, and suggests that the agency may have gone out of business and has been legally prevented from contacting any of its outsourcers. Any pending payments may have been stopped. I'm not an expert in receivership, but I imagine this is the kind of thing receivers do.

[Edited at 2013-01-06 19:18 GMT]

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Same problem here... Jan 22, 2013

... with this Dave pirate guy, anyone else? How did he introduce himself to you?

German to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nothing suspicious at the beginning Jan 22, 2013

Tomi Dobaj wrote:

... with this Dave pirate guy, anyone else? How did he introduce himself to you?

Yes, Dave. I was sent an invitation through TranslatorsCafe.com with name, address, company details and IP address (verified to originate from Hong Kong). At first he said I was too late that he already assigned the task to someone else. After a couple of days he sent me a new project with PO and then there were approx. 2-3 (smaller) projects per week. After issuing him an invoice, he told me he would pay in a week through PayPal. Then he asked me, if I had received payment. We exchanged a few mails, eventhough there were no more assignments for me. That's why I was surprised he just disappeared...
Did it happen to you too?

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
disappeared.. Jan 22, 2013

after I invoiced him (he owes me about €750). Everything was fine until then, he was really friendly and I not at all suspicious - no complaints, nothing.

The translator who opened his Blue Board also says she did not get any payment at all, but as it was peanuts she still gave him a 2.

It looks he specializes in cheating Slovenians, so he might very well be our own kind of a bastard!
Until now I have never had any problems with collecting payments from non-Slovenians :/

Do you have any idea what more to do, except posting a few juicy ones to his BB?

[Edited at 2013-01-22 13:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-22 13:15 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have worked for an outsourcer that disappeared

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search