Brooke Nelson and book translation - Possible scam?
Thread poster: Francesca Siotto

Francesca Siotto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:54
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 9, 2013

Hello everyone,
I received the following message from Brooke Nelson (brnelson2500@gmail.com):

"Hello,
As am browsing through the profiles translators on proz.com I came across your profile,I kindly want you to translate my book that I need to translate kindly get back to me on the language you handle from English If you are interested in translating for me kindly contact me (back(brnelson2500@gmail.com) immediately you received my message for more information about the project.
Thanks,
Regards"

I replied offering my services for EN>IT pair and asking to discuss rate and deadline, however here's what she wrote:

"Attached is the project. Payment shall be in 2x . First payment of 50% and the balance of 50% on completion or a week to 2 weeks interval.I await the total estimates and necessary details to making the payment.
My client has chosen check payment this has been method of payment from the past.
Email me your
Full Name:
Address:
City:
Country
State:
Zip Code:
Phone:
The details above shall be used to forward the payment to you.
Regards."

I told her I usually prefer other methods of payments and I asked once again to talk about prices. She sent another message ignoring my request but she did give me her address

brooke nelson
5519 W. Farragut Ave.
Chicago, IL 60630

She also said "Al so i think bank transfer will be faster email me your bank details."

This looks like a scam, I'm only in doubt because she sent 3 Word documents (10,000 words) from her "new book"..

Anyone else received this message?

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

100 % scam Jan 9, 2013

The provided address is a property for sale (see http://tinyurl.com/bc336a6 ), and exactly the same message from the "outsourcer" has been already mentioned in previous scam alerts:
of December 20, 2012 Advanced payment scam with a repeated set of contact information
of June 15, 2012: Stiven, the private investor
http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translator_scam_alert_reports

Irene McClure
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Smells fishy... Jan 9, 2013

There are a few things about the email which would make me very suspicious about this project.

First of all, the fact that the person doesn't seem to know what languages they want their book translated into. Secondly, they refer to 'my book' and later to 'my client', and thirdly, they talk about payment methods (and not cost) before you have even seen the document, provided a quote or accepted the job.

I googled the name and it crops up in a non-translation scam warning on another site. It's unlikely to be a coincidence.

http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58309

You might want to check by googling parts of the documents you have been sent to see if they match anything that has already been published - or you might want to just stick it in your email trash and move onto the next - genuine - assignment!

Cheers, Irene

Sarah Jane Webb  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
definitely a scam Jan 9, 2013

I got the same message yesterday. Delete!

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same here!! Received yesterday. Jan 9, 2013

Very strange from the very beginning, actually! The target language was not mentioned and the translator was asked to quote what language he/she could translate into. Normally it's the client that quotes what he/she wants, not vice versa.
The kind young lady or whoever it is,
also made a lot of mistakes in the email, looked like she didn't know how to even spell normal words, let alone punctuation.
Then she immediately wanted all my bank data for the payment, becuase I immediately refused payment by check, then even the telephone number, all this without even giving her full name and address.
She could well live in Africa, North Pole or New Zealand, she did not write anything.
I asked her to and obviously wanted some details before starting the job.
She sent an address which actually looked of a house on sale or to let! Or so it looks in an estate agent ad if you do some research on the Web! As NATALIE said above.
No answer received so far, probably because she could not give me any!)
I kindly denied the offer... of course.

[Modificato alle 2013-01-09 12:21 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2013-01-09 12:24 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2013-01-09 12:28 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2013-01-09 12:29 GMT]

Caroline Reiss  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
A classic money laundering scam! Jan 9, 2013

Hello all,

I have received similar emails in the past, ie. can you translate and send me your bank details as I am happy to pay in advance. My husband works in a completely different industry and also receives emails like this from time to time.

If you were to send your bank details, I would happily bet that you would be 'accidentally' paid too much for the job and then the 'client' would ask you to transfer the overpayment to another account - essentially, you'd be laundering their dirty money for them.

Sounds like you've already followed the best course of action by exercising caution and posting your experience on here. I definitely agree with Sarah Jane: delete!

Happy New Year to all!

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Caroline! Jan 9, 2013

So we would even do something illegal in some way if we accepted their money!
Happy New Year to you and everybody.

[Modificato alle 2013-01-09 14:01 GMT]

Miriam Neidhardt  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
It's not just money laundry. Jan 9, 2013

The check will be issued way to high and you will be asked to transfer the money back - by Western Union. Later the check will bounce and the bank will reclaim the money - and the money you sent by Western Union will be gone forever. Moreover, you may face prosecution for fraud, since the check was fake or stolen.

So beware!

Miriam

www.ueberleben-als-uebersetzer.de

IsaPro  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Got the same today Jan 11, 2013

Unable to write correctly her own country : united state....

Nadia Bacal-Mainville  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:54
English to French
Nelson scam sent to me too Jan 11, 2013

I received the same email from Cindy Ross, who, when I asked her to give me more details about herself, sent me this: "my Name is Brooke Nelson from the united stete i am a private inventor,the is a project give to by a firm,here are my details.Missoula, Montana, 202
McDonald Ave.if okay with check payment let me know the totalt cost
of the document.
Email me your full details i await you responed."

It tells you all about that scam... To be put right away in the dustbin! Beware!!

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Hi all Jan 14, 2013

... so, after reading Nadia's comment, we can definitely expect some more of these silly and missspelt emails from the same scammer using different fake names and addresses, who does not image, poor thing, that if we are not completely drunk, we usually check the IP number, address, and usually keep our eyes open before accepting his/her offers!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Brooke Nelson and book translation - Possible scam?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search