Thread poster: Jennifer Benavides
Jennifer Benavides
Jennifer Benavides  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2013

Please beware of this scam artist who recently has been offering numerous medical texts for translation (I completed several for him/her in January and February and never received payment (or response to my repeated requests). Turns out that this is perhaps the same Jessica Wear/Agatha Colten aka Ibrahim Alblewi crook working out of Amman Jordan (Proz has recently prevented him/her from posting). I originally responded to a Proz ad that he placed in January.

I am trying to get into
... See more
Please beware of this scam artist who recently has been offering numerous medical texts for translation (I completed several for him/her in January and February and never received payment (or response to my repeated requests). Turns out that this is perhaps the same Jessica Wear/Agatha Colten aka Ibrahim Alblewi crook working out of Amman Jordan (Proz has recently prevented him/her from posting). I originally responded to a Proz ad that he placed in January.

I am trying to get into contact with some of the end clients from hospitals here in Spain for these large jobs to hopefully find out who is paying this crook. I realize that I won't receive the 800€ that I am owed but would be more than happy if this person was prevented from scamming other translators.
Collapse

Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Local time: 19:54
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
A few pointers in this case Apr 8, 2013

I responded to a job posting by this individual in March, and based on following the ProZ scam report, I noticed a few things.

Firstly, the job offer was never the same as the job received. Jobs would state translations were 4000 words, but you would generally only receive 1500 and then the advert would be reposted as 2500 words and so on.

Secondly, the rate negotiations were very strange. I stated my rate, the aforementioned person stated that this was too high, and I
... See more
I responded to a job posting by this individual in March, and based on following the ProZ scam report, I noticed a few things.

Firstly, the job offer was never the same as the job received. Jobs would state translations were 4000 words, but you would generally only receive 1500 and then the advert would be reposted as 2500 words and so on.

Secondly, the rate negotiations were very strange. I stated my rate, the aforementioned person stated that this was too high, and I refused to accept their rate. The person then said "OK, I will accept your rate". Normally, when a rate is too high, the other party will quickly move on and find someone who will accept their rate, not immediately turn around and accept a rate they initially rejected.

Thirdly, because the person advertised themselves as a translator, not as an agency, and had only been active for a short time on the site, I asked for address and phone number details. I needed them to complete the invoice, but intended on calling and verifying the address. The person refused to give the relevant details to me, so I refused to complete the translation. I was then called unprofessional.

I think it pays to subscribe to the ProZ scam alerts - they make us more aware of what is potentially out there.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alham Abdulrahman scam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »