United Kingdom
Local time: 19:15
Polish to English
+ ...
May 16, 2013

Dear All,

Today I got this email:

Hi Aleksandra,

Hope you are doing well. We are anticipating a large project to come through from one of our regular client. The job will involve linguistic service in 10 European languages.

Apparently, we need to submit few sample translations to the client for the involved languages, for approval. Please submit your sample translation for English to Polish, if you would be interested in participating in the project.

Attached herewith, is the sample file for your reference.

Regards,
Anand Panchal

and below was my "original message" as if the message was a reply to my email:

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Aleksandra Karpiuk wrote:

I'm writing in response to translation offer on proz.com.
I'm a native Polish translator with 3 years of translation experience. I'm interested in the project and I would be happy to submit a translation sample for your approval.
I have attached my CV. My rate is $0.07 per word.
I hope you will consider me for the position.
Kind regards,
Aleksandra Karpiuk

It seems legitimate, BUT two things got my attention: I don't remember sending this (the date on reply post is from January 2, yes, but why on earth would anyone reply 5 months after...) and the fact that I usually format my quotes for translations a bit differently (I start with "hello" or similar, always mention the fact that I have a BA in linguistics, my experience etc. and there's no such thing here). I also ran a search on the email (anand.panchal86@gmail.com) and it search engine forwarded me to black translation lists. I'm 99% confident this is a scammer.

One thing worries me though: I can't find my original message in "sent" box on my mail because they pile up over months and I delete the old messages, so I have no way of checking if I send the quote or not - and there's my CV mentioned and given those CV scams that are so popular lately I dread the thought that my CV might be out there and I have no way of knowing...

I would appreciate you advice on this.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:15
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Possible May 16, 2013

Hi Aleksandra,

I do have a couple of questions.

Do you always do your risk management before you apply for a job on ProZ or anywhere else?

Do you always send your CV out right away?

Do you work in arts? Most hits for Anand Panchal reveal an art gallery in India.

How long was that test translation?

Perhaps you might create a folder "pending jobs/quotes" just for emails like this one, that is, the application you supposedly have sent to him.

Replying to your email, if you've sent one at all, after five months is quite suspicious.

Aleksandra Karpiuk, AITI  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you May 16, 2013

Hi Thayenga,

I usually sumbit my quotes via proz after taking a look at the BB or doing a quick search on the internet, and if the agencies are from Poland I browse the translation forums.

However, five months ago I was not very aware of those scams on the Internet and I occasionally did send my CV to some agencies to their emails or via their official websites, so here I'm not 100% sure. Back then I was basically making my first steps in the industry and I was more optimistic (or rather naive) about it. Now, having read thousands of scam threads and having received some fishy emails myself, I'm very, very cautious and this email raised my red flags.

Also, to answer your question, I don't work in arts and so far I haven't translated any art related texts. The test translation was one page long, about 220 words, something about ink or cyllinders, rather semi-technical.

I also might think about making a separate folder for sent quotes/applications since it will help track my messages in long term - thanks for the suggestion.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:15
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Aleksandra May 16, 2013

My best guess is that in January you responded to one of this jobs: http://tinyurl.com/cpayrjy - most probably to the first from the bottom, i.e http://tinyurl.com/cboecnv .

Please check or try to recall if this was so, and if yes, this thread will be removed as it does not bear any signs of scam.

Natalia

Aleksandra Karpiuk, AITI  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Natalia May 16, 2013

I might replied to that particular posting, but I always state in my quote on which website I found the offer (in this case it's translatrscafe) and in my email it's proz.com, so I have two options. Option one: either it's legitimate, I send them my quote and I also instead of translatorscafe I wrote proz, or option two: I'm completely at loss what to do here. But thank you very much for the link to the original posting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

possible scam email

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search