Philippine's Isabel Benson Money Laundering Scam?
Thread poster: Mika Shikase
Mika Shikase
Mika Shikase  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:57
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 17, 2013

Isabel Benson sends me this email ([email protected]) and calls from Philipine on April 9, 2013:
--------------
Hi I want this English document to be translated to Japanese and I have a turn around time of 3 weeks, let me know how much it would cost to translate it. Right now am on Holiday in Phillipines for 3 weeks, but once you send me the payment details, I will instruct my associate to send out payment to you immediately.

Thank you
Isabel Benson
630-
... See more
Isabel Benson sends me this email ([email protected]) and calls from Philipine on April 9, 2013:
--------------
Hi I want this English document to be translated to Japanese and I have a turn around time of 3 weeks, let me know how much it would cost to translate it. Right now am on Holiday in Phillipines for 3 weeks, but once you send me the payment details, I will instruct my associate to send out payment to you immediately.

Thank you
Isabel Benson
630-473-4274
--------------
On April 12, I receive an email notifying the USPS tracking number and on Saturday next day, I receive a check in the amount of $2,950.00 USD remitted by Mr. Jason A. Greenwood and mailed under the name of Mr. Robert Tollennaar in Seattle Washington instead of the quoted amount of $360 for the translation. Upon notification of the receipt of such a check, she goes,
--------------
My associate just contacted me now that he mistakenly sent out the whole amount he is owing me instead of sending the amount of the translation. Therefore, I will want you to deduct your amount and send the rest of the money via western union to the information below;

FIRST NAME- LILIAN
LAST NAME - CARLOS
ADDRESS - 57 ALAN AVENUE
CITY- MANILA

FIRST NAME- LIEZEL B.
LAST NAME - BIRON
ADDRESS - 57 ALAN AVENUE
CITY- MANILA

therefore you divide the money and send one half to LILIAN and the other half to LIEZEL who are my driver and personal assistant respectively as I do not have a local Id to collect money here cos two Id's are required here. . The sending fee is to be deducted from the balance after you might have deducted your money. Once you send the money transfer, you will need to provide me with the following info; Senders Name, Amount and Mtcn Number, thank you.
--------------

When I refuse to perform such a transaction, she offers me $100 first and upon my second refusal, she would offer me $150. I did not go because I was going on an overses business trip.

After all, I never received any payment despite my repeated request.

Does this sound like a money laundering scheme? Anyone who had similar experience?

Mika, Proz, ATA and NAJIT Member, JTF-Certified Translator
Collapse

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:57
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Well know scam method May 17, 2013

Classic scam; you won't be able to cash the check they sent you and will end up parting with the money you send them...

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:57
German to English
+ ...
Classic overpayment scam May 17, 2013

There are a lot of crooks out there targeting translators now, and there are reports on scams in this very forum almost every day, because it seems that too many translators live under a rock and have been providing easy targets. I say this because it is the only explanation I can think of for the explosive increase in these cases.

ProZ has been on top of this for some time now, and it would be a good idea if all translators who haven't done so already educated themselves on how to
... See more
There are a lot of crooks out there targeting translators now, and there are reports on scams in this very forum almost every day, because it seems that too many translators live under a rock and have been providing easy targets. I say this because it is the only explanation I can think of for the explosive increase in these cases.

ProZ has been on top of this for some time now, and it would be a good idea if all translators who haven't done so already educated themselves on how to recognize a scam, plus other useful information. Here is a thread from just the other day containing several helpful links.

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/249076-seems_very_fishy_but_i_want_feedback.html

Good thing you didn't fall for it, but I worry that some colleagues do in spite of all the available information.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:57
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The old familiar scam May 19, 2013

Mika Tanegashima wrote:

... therefore you divide the money and send one half to LILIAN and the other half to LIEZEL who are my driver and personal assistant respectively as I do not have a local Id to collect money here cos two Id's are required here. . The sending fee is to be deducted from the balance after you might have deducted your money. Once you send the money transfer, you will need to provide me with the following info; Senders Name, Amount and Mtcn Number, thank you.

I know that this is serios issue, still... don't your driver and your personal assitant expect to get paid as well?

Mika Tanegashima wrote:
When I refuse to perform such a transaction, she offers me $100 first and upon my second refusal, she would offer me $150. I did not go because I was going on an overses business trip.

Had you continued to refuse, she might have offered you 50% or more. After all, it would not have been her money that would pay 1. your price and 2. your bribe.

Mika Tanegashima wrote:
Does this sound like a money laundering scheme? Anyone who had similar experience?

Mika, Proz, ATA and NAJIT Member, JTF-Certified Translator

I wouldn't go as far as calling it money laundering. It is "just" a regular overpayment scam.

Good thing that you didn't fall for it.

Stay safe!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Philippine's Isabel Benson Money Laundering Scam?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »