South Korean company is recruiting freelancers
Thread poster: Olivier Den Hartigh

Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:28
Member (2014)
English to French
May 21, 2013

Dear Colleagues,
A month ago, I was contacted by a new South Korean company claiming they were hiring translators. They have a Facebook page and a LinkedIn account.
Being interested, I filled in an application form and the owner asked me to send them a copy of my ID.
I emailed back saying I'd been advised not to supply a copy of my passport or my passport number, especially with all the serious cases of identity theft.
Then I received another email from the company saying: ID and ID numbers are needed in our country to verify when we transfer money to freelancers. (Accounting purposes).
I’d like to warn this could be a possible scam. Nobody should ask you for your ID. Companies can pay you using Paypal, of course.
If you’ve been contacted by this company, please let me know.

[Edited at 2013-05-22 21:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-22 21:06 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
An odd request May 23, 2013

Thank you, Oliver, for posting this here.

I've worked for a South Korean agency before and was never asked to provide a copy of my ID or my ID number. And I did get paid every time...without having provided anything else other than my PayPal account number.

So yes, this does seem to be a possible scam.

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:28
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No ID necessary May 23, 2013

Dear Olivier,

I worked with a South Korean agency once. They paid me via wire transfer but never asked for my ID or passport number, just my bank details.

So you may be right, this is a scam.

Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
English to French
Thank you May 23, 2013

Ok. Thank you for your feedback, Thayenga and Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

South Korean company is recruiting freelancers

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search