https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/249463-south_korean_company_is_recruiting_freelancers.html

South Korean company is recruiting freelancers
Thread poster: Olivier Den Hartigh
Olivier Den Hartigh
Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:30
English to French
May 21, 2013

Dear Colleagues,
A month ago, I was contacted by a new South Korean company claiming they were hiring translators. They have a Facebook page and a LinkedIn account.
Being interested, I filled in an application form and the owner asked me to send them a copy of my ID.
I emailed back saying I'd been advised not to supply a copy of my passport or my passport number, especially with all the serious cases of identity theft.
Then I received another email from the company sayi
... See more
Dear Colleagues,
A month ago, I was contacted by a new South Korean company claiming they were hiring translators. They have a Facebook page and a LinkedIn account.
Being interested, I filled in an application form and the owner asked me to send them a copy of my ID.
I emailed back saying I'd been advised not to supply a copy of my passport or my passport number, especially with all the serious cases of identity theft.
Then I received another email from the company saying: ID and ID numbers are needed in our country to verify when we transfer money to freelancers. (Accounting purposes).
I’d like to warn this could be a possible scam. Nobody should ask you for your ID. Companies can pay you using Paypal, of course.
If you’ve been contacted by this company, please let me know.

[Edited at 2013-05-22 21:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-22 21:06 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
An odd request May 23, 2013

Thank you, Oliver, for posting this here.

I've worked for a South Korean agency before and was never asked to provide a copy of my ID or my ID number. And I did get paid every time...without having provided anything else other than my PayPal account number.

So yes, this does seem to be a possible scam.

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No ID necessary May 23, 2013

Dear Olivier,

I worked with a South Korean agency once. They paid me via wire transfer but never asked for my ID or passport number, just my bank details.

So you may be right, this is a scam.

Regards,
Marina

Olivier Den Hartigh
Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 23, 2013

Ok. Thank you for your feedback, Thayenga and Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

South Korean company is recruiting freelancers

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »