Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Spoof email purporting to come from Pay Pal?
Thread poster: Tim Drayton

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 17:50
Turkish to English
+ ...
Sep 11, 2013

I received an email, addressed to me by name and purporting to come from Pay Pal, with the heading "Notice of changes to our Legal Agreements" and inviting me to click on a link to find out what these are. Since I cancelled my account with Pay Pal over ten years ago, I am suspicious about this email. I would urge others to treat this message with caution.

 

Hin und Wieder  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:50
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Icon Sep 11, 2013

Paypal uses an icon that's shown in your list of senders. It's a green thingy like a leaf.

 

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:50
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Leaf? Cyprus? Sep 11, 2013

Angelique Blommaert wrote:

Paypal uses an icon that's shown in your list of senders. It's a green thingy like a leaf.


... or like a green map of Cyprus?
I got this "Paypal" email this morning, too, and also was chary about clicking on its link for fear of malware or some such horror (I don't use Paypal either).


 

Tony M
France
Local time: 16:50
Member
French to English
+ ...
Hover over link Sep 11, 2013

As a first step, hover your mouse over the link they invite you to click; in your status bar at the bottom of your screen, you should see the ACTUAL url it is trying to send you to; you can then assess whether this is even vaguely plausible.

In any case, if you don't use paypal at all, you can just ignore it.

However, PayPal make a point of only ever addressing you by your name; does the name they used (in my case, my Christian name) correspond to the nmae by which you used to be known by PayPal?

PayPal does have a special address for reporting phishing attempts, so before deleting this mail, you might care to report it to the PayPal security department. If you can no longer access PayPal, by all means contact me so I can give you the e-mail address to use.


 

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 15:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I received a similar email several times Sep 11, 2013

Tim Drayton wrote:

I received an email, addressed to me by name and purporting to come from Pay Pal, with the heading "Notice of changes to our Legal Agreements" and inviting me to click on a link to find out what these are. Since I cancelled my account with Pay Pal over ten years ago, I am suspicious about this email. I would urge others to treat this message with caution.


and I have NEVER had a PayPal account!!!


 

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 17:50
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done that Sep 11, 2013

Tony M wrote:

ayPal does have a special address for reporting phishing attempts, so before deleting this mail, you might care to report it to the PayPal security department. If you can no longer access PayPal, by all means contact me so I can give you the e-mail address to use. [/quote]

I did that immediately, but thanks for the sound advice.

PS As to whether they addressed me by the name they used to know me by, I have no idea. I cannot remember.


 

Tony M
France
Local time: 16:50
Member
French to English
+ ...
Has to be a phishing attempt Sep 11, 2013

In view of your respective comments, it seems clear this MUST be a phishing attempt.

PayPal invites us to report such attempts:

Send the whole mail (including source code if possible) to: spoof@paypal.com Do NOT send it as an attachment.


 

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 17:50
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, done that Sep 11, 2013

Tony M wrote:

In view of your respective comments, it seems clear this MUST be a phishing attempt.

PayPal invites us to report such attempts:

Send the whole mail (including source code if possible) to: spoof@paypal.com Do NOT send it as an attachment.


Done that. Thanks for the tip, though.


 

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:50
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you Sep 11, 2013

Tim Drayton wrote:

I received an email, addressed to me by name and purporting to come from Pay Pal, with the heading "Notice of changes to our Legal Agreements" and inviting me to click on a link to find out what these are. Since I cancelled my account with Pay Pal over ten years ago, I am suspicious about this email. I would urge others to treat this message with caution.


Thank you, Tim, for the warning.

Ii haven't recived such an email...yet. But when itcomes, it'll go straight to File 13.icon_smile.gif

Aand thank you, Toni, for the link to report such emails to. Very helpful indeed.icon_smile.gif


 

XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:50
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Seems fine. Sep 11, 2013

I received it too but don't see anything wrong with it. I suppose there's a slim chance that scammers could be very quick these days and issue scam messages within minutes of genuine ones but, assuming your message is the same as mine, it has all the hallmarks of a genuine Paypal e-mail.

 

Ian Mansbridge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:50
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Same Sep 11, 2013

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

I received it too but don't see anything wrong with it. I suppose there's a slim chance that scammers could be very quick these days and issue scam messages within minutes of genuine ones but, assuming your message is the same as mine, it has all the hallmarks of a genuine Paypal e-mail.


It looks perfectly fine to me too. I clicked the link to read the updates, and nothing untoward has happened thus far!


 

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
PayPal security - how to identify a legit message Sep 11, 2013

Somewhere in the numerous PayPal help pages, they explain how a message from them can be determined as legitimate.

Two points:

1. They say they'll never address you as "Dear Customer", "Dear Sir/Madam", etc. and also never as "Dear what's_in_your_email_before_the_@". They'll always write your full name exactly as entered on their database.

2. They say they'll never provide you links to click on. They'll tell you to login to your account there, and will provide instructions on what you should do there once you are in.

Anything else will be fake, and they ask you to fwd the message to spoof@paypal.com so they can take proper action.


 

Tony M
France
Local time: 16:50
Member
French to English
+ ...
PayPal security Sep 11, 2013

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

2. They say they'll never provide you links to click on. They'll tell you to login to your account there, and will provide instructions on what you should do there once you are in.


Sadly, this is not quite 100% true -- in their notifications of transacations, for example, they do indeed invite you to click on a link to see the details of this transaction; however, if you do so, you will find yourself redirected directly to a log-in page.


 

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:50
Swedish to English
+ ...
Looks OK to me Sep 11, 2013

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

I received it too but don't see anything wrong with it. I suppose there's a slim chance that scammers could be very quick these days and issue scam messages within minutes of genuine ones but, assuming your message is the same as mine, it has all the hallmarks of a genuine Paypal e-mail.


I also received the email and am pretty sure it's from Paypal even though I haven't used my account for years.

The email was addressed to my first name, which I have never, ever been called and only use except when necessary in official communications with banks, doctors, etc. then an M for Madeleine and finally my very unusual surname (7 persons currently alive with that name).

Unless scammers have have hacked into Paypal's database, there is no chance they would have found that combination online. (OK, my online bank's database might be another one they could have hacked.)

[Edited at 2013-09-11 11:07 GMT]


 

Tony M
France
Local time: 16:50
Member
French to English
+ ...
Does seem genuine after all Sep 11, 2013

I have just received the same e-mail, oddly enough, only on my UK PayPal account, not my FR one. But it did address me correctly and using the correct e-mail address, and all the links seem kosher.

I suppose the reason might be that only the UK legal conditions have been changed.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spoof email purporting to come from Pay Pal?

Advanced search







WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search