Scam: Word Press Publications
Thread poster: seasond_salt
seasond_salt
United States
Oct 1, 2013

Someone named Lucas Pearl from Word Press Publications emailed me, unsolicited, offering a 15200 word English to Spanish translation project. Lucas offered me half of the payment up front via cashier's check for the fee we agreed upon: US$2200. I checked many translation sources like ProZ.com and found that this is a common scam. Further, I could not find Word Press Publications anywhere on the web. Also, a quick Google search of the title of the document he sent me linked me to a word-for-word version written by a professor at Samford University in 2004.

I asked Lucas to provide me with his company contact information and a website URL. He said the website was under construction and that he got my info from ProZ.com. I never knew of this site until after Lucas contacted me, when I went looking for signs that this was a scam.

Please be aware of unsolicited scams by people claiming to find contact info here, when no such profile exists. I have no idea how he found my contact info, but I told him I would not work with him because he's highly unethical. I do not feel comfortable translating a document that I don't have the rights to. I don't want to get screwed over by a bad check. I really hate the idea that this man found me somehow and is using ProZ.com as his cover.

Direct link Reply with quote

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:41
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A known scam Oct 3, 2013

Cashier's checks can bounce back, unless they come from a well-established company, though these are unlikely to use this type of checks.

It is possible that a website is under construction. However, he should have a link to it, which will then tell you... that it's under construction.

Did the outsourcer provide you with a mailing address?

Wordpress (publishings) does exist and yields many Google results. https://www.google.de/search?q=Word%20Press&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=mRFNUoreOsbCtQbv0IGwBw#q=wordpress%20publishing&rls=org.mozilla:de:official

So you might want to contact the person again (if you are interested), and ask if there is another form of payment.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Word Press Publications

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search