be careful! Paypal scam!
Thread poster: Annie Estéphan

Annie Estéphan  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:26
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 26, 2013

Hello,

I received a message from Paypal saying to reactivate my account; however, the senders NAME is Paypals right address, but when we look at the details the senders ADDRESS is @pay.pal and not @paypal!!!!! The dot is not part of their real address.


 

Henny Willis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:26
Member
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jeez! Oct 26, 2013

Thanks for sharing this, Annie!

 

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:26
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A well known scam Oct 27, 2013

Annie Estéphan wrote:

Hello,

I received a message from Paypal saying to reactivate my account; however, the senders NAME is Paypals right address, but when we look at the details the senders ADDRESS is @pay.pal and not @paypal!!!!! The dot is not part of their real address.


Hello Annie,

these fake PayPal emails have been around for quite a while, in fact, for years.

You didn't state whether "Pay.Pal" has personally addressed you in that email. Scammers/pishers seldom do. An easy way to find out if this is a scam, is to log into your PayPal account - not using any link provided in that email.

You will most probably discover that your account is as active as it had been since you had intitially created it.

Be sure to forward that email to PayPal. They are very interested in learning about scammers that abuse the system.icon_wink.gif


 

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 17:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well known scam Oct 27, 2013

Thayenga wrote:

Annie Estéphan wrote:

Hello,

I received a message from Paypal saying to reactivate my account; however, the senders NAME is Paypals right address, but when we look at the details the senders ADDRESS is @pay.pal and not @paypal!!!!! The dot is not part of their real address.


Hello Annie,

these fake PayPal emails have been around for quite a while, in fact, for years.

You didn't state whether "Pay.Pal" has personally addressed you in that email. Scammers/pishers seldom do. An easy way to find out if this is a scam, is to log into your PayPal account - not using any link provided in that email.

You will most probably discover that your account is as active as it had been since you had intitially created it.

Be sure to forward that email to PayPal. They are very interested in learning about scammers that abuse the system.icon_wink.gif


These kind of messages are even sent to those who do not have a PayPal account, as in my case: from time to time I am asked to reactivate the account I do not have...


 

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:26
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Performing a "miracle" Oct 27, 2013

Teresa Borges wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

Annie Estéphan wrote:

Hello,

I received a message from Paypal saying to reactivate my account; however, the senders NAME is Paypals right address, but when we look at the details the senders ADDRESS is @pay.pal and not @paypal!!!!! The dot is not part of their real address.


Hello Annie,

these fake PayPal emails have been around for quite a while, in fact, for years.

You didn't state whether "Pay.Pal" has personally addressed you in that email. Scammers/pishers seldom do. An easy way to find out if this is a scam, is to log into your PayPal account - not using any link provided in that email.

You will most probably discover that your account is as active as it had been since you had intitially created it.

Be sure to forward that email to PayPal. They are very interested in learning about scammers that abuse the system.icon_wink.gif


These kind of messages are even sent to those who do not have a PayPal account, as in my case: from time to time I am asked to reactivate the account I do not have...


Thank you for the reminder, Teresa.icon_wink.gif There have been quite a few of our colleagues who received these emails and who don't even have a PayPal account.

One would assume that scammers did at least a minimum of research. Or is this a too audacious assumption?icon_biggrin.gif


 

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
PayPal's official security message Nov 9, 2013

Today I received a phishing attempt, purportedly sent by PayPal.

I forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com , and their reply seems to be more elucidative than ever:

PayPal wrote:
Dear ,

Thank you for being a proactive contributor by reporting
suspicious-looking emails to PayPal’s Abuse Department. Our security
team is working to identify if the email you forwarded to us is a
malicious email.

Paypal Will Always:

• Address our customers by their first and last name or business name of
their PayPal account

Paypal Will Never:

• Send an email to: “Undisclosed Recipients” or more than one email
address
• Ask you to download a form or file to resolve an issue
• Ask in an email to verify an account using Personal Information such
as Name, Date of Birth, Driver’s License, or Address
• Ask in an email to verify an account using Bank Account Information
such as Bank Name, Routing Number, or Bank Account PIN Number
• Ask in an email to verify an account using Credit Card Information
such as Credit Card Number or Type, Expiration Date, ATM PIN Number, or
CVV2 Security Code
• Ask for your full credit card number without displaying the type of
card and the last two digits
• Ask you for your full bank account number without displaying your bank
name, type of account (Checking/Savings) and the last two digits
• Ask you for your security question answers without displaying each
security question you created
• Ask you to ship an item, pay a shipping fee, send a Western Union
Money Transfer, or provide a tracking number before the payment received
is available in your transaction history

READ!

Any time you receive an email about changes to your PayPal account, the
safest way to confirm the email’s validity is to log in to your PayPal
account where any of the activity reported in the email will be
available to view. DO NOT USE THE LINKS IN THE EMAIL RECEIVED TO VISIT
THE PAYPAL WEBSITE. Instead, enter www.paypal.com into your browser to
log in to your account.

What is a phishing email?

You may have received an email falsely claiming to be from PayPal or
another known entity. This is called "phishing" because the sender is
"fishing" for your personal data. The goal is to trick you into clicking
through to a fake or "spoofed" website, or into calling a bogus customer
service number where they can collect and steal your sensitive personal
or financial information.

We will carefully review the content reported to us to certify that the
content is legitimate. We will contact you if we need any additional
information for investigating the matter. Please take note to the
security tips provided above as they may help to answer any questions
that you may have about the email you are reporting to us.

Help! I responded to a phishing email!

If you have responded to a phishing email and provided any personal
information, or if you think someone has used your account without
permission, you should immediately change your password and security
questions.

You should also report it to PayPal immediately and we'll help protect
you as much as possible.
1. Open a new browser and type in www.paypal.com.
2. Log in to your PayPal account.
3. Click "Security and Protection" near the top of the page.
4. Click "Identify a problem."
5. Click "I think someone may be using my account without
permission."
6. Click "Unauthorized Account Activity."

Thank you for your help making a difference.

Every email counts. By forwarding a suspicious-looking email to
spoof@paypal.com, you have helped keep yourself and others safe from
identity theft.

Thanks,
The PayPal Team

***********************************************************************

Please do not reply to this email. If you need to follow up, please
follow the steps above to access your account and utilize the Contact Us
resources from our site.

***********************************************************************


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

be careful! Paypal scam!

Advanced search







TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search