Strange phone call from +88880018
Thread poster: Andrea Brumma

Andrea Brumma
Spain
Local time: 17:58
English to German
+ ...
Nov 27, 2013

Today I received a phone call from the following number: +88880018. The caller stated to be a translation agency (I don't remember the name he gave). He knew my full name and stated that he had found my details on another translator website (not proz). When I confirmed that he was talking to the person he was asking for, the phone call was cut. Searching for the phone number on the web because of a strange gut feeling, I found that people receive strange calls from this number. I called the number, but it does not exist. I am worried as I suspect identity theft. Please be aware. If you have more information, please contact me (here plus private message). Thank you!

Andrea
Andrea Brumma

Direct link Reply with quote

Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Temporary number Nov 27, 2013

Those numbers are taken automatically by VOIP cal services such as Jajah.
It could be anyone.

So the number does not belong to anyone, it is just assigned automatically when you call somebody using a VOIP call service provider.

User has a choice to show/hide his caller id.
The person called you has chosen to hide his caller id.
Or he started to use the software recently and did not enter all necessary information to his caller profile.

There are millions of people using VOIP services, because they provide lots of advantages.

It is not necessary to think that he/she is a scammer unless you have a definite proof.

Andrea Brumma
Spain
Local time: 17:58
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 27, 2013

Hi Ali,

Thank you for this helpful information. It is good to know that the call could have been from a genuine potential client and not from a scammer. My alarm bells went off when the caller did not call again and did not contact me via email when the phone call was interrupted just after confirming my identity.

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange phone call from +88880018

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search