https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/260729-anyone_else_received_an_email_about_%22real_translators_jobs%22.html

Anyone else received an email about "Real Translators Jobs" ?
Thread poster: Ninon Dion
Ninon Dion
Ninon Dion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:34
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 4, 2013

Anyone else received an email in regards to the following?

EDITED for deletion of URL.

The appearance of the website is strangely similar to those marketing schemes that have been around for years.
I'm curious to know what they invented in order to scam people.

[Edited at 2013-12-04 06:41 GMT]

Valery Shapovalenko
Valery Shapovalenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:34
English to Russian
+ ...
These are fake real translators Dec 4, 2013

Ninon, I would strongly recommend you not to post the link to this site and, to other fellow translators. DO NOT CLICK IT! Please edit your post with deleting the link, Ninon.

Searching for additional sources of work over the Internet I've found this site and didn't know then, how to drop them off. They say thousands of companies are desperately looking for translators with my pair, and to help them out I only have to pay an entrance fee lower than 'usual and the fortune is mine. I
... See more
Ninon, I would strongly recommend you not to post the link to this site and, to other fellow translators. DO NOT CLICK IT! Please edit your post with deleting the link, Ninon.

Searching for additional sources of work over the Internet I've found this site and didn't know then, how to drop them off. They say thousands of companies are desperately looking for translators with my pair, and to help them out I only have to pay an entrance fee lower than 'usual and the fortune is mine. I didn't pay. They were 'keeping me informed' until I unsubscribed. Neither Norton Security nor anything else reported any problem with site. Only their extreme exxageration and super-concrete confidence they're the only what I needed, made me suspicious.

Regardz,

Valery
Collapse

Ninon Dion
Canada
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... it was obviously a scam... Dec 4, 2013

... and I am posting in the "Scams" forum am I not?

I did delete the URL, but since it was so apparent to me that this is a scam, I didn't think that anyone over here would take that page seriously.
Anyway, better safe than sorry, so I deleted the address.

[Edited at 2013-12-04 06:48 GMT]

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:34
English to Czech
+ ...
old bad joke Dec 4, 2013

I remember getting an email once, maybe a year ago or so and only when I replied, I got a link asking me to register, and it was this website.
At that point I already knew them all too well, since they were flooding all translators LinkedIn groups. NinonD - you'd be surprised how many people were replying there publicly in all seriousness. And there was the link so I suppose they bothered at least to click on it.
Apparently, they've been kicked out from LinkedIn since then.
... See more
I remember getting an email once, maybe a year ago or so and only when I replied, I got a link asking me to register, and it was this website.
At that point I already knew them all too well, since they were flooding all translators LinkedIn groups. NinonD - you'd be surprised how many people were replying there publicly in all seriousness. And there was the link so I suppose they bothered at least to click on it.
Apparently, they've been kicked out from LinkedIn since then.

From what I understood from people complaining back then (you find plenty of this on various forums), they lured some less sophisticated individuals to pay them some nice round fee in order to register and make those big bucks for "doing simple translator jobs.") Of course the adventure ended with them paying the fee.

I don't believe these people are able to come up with anything more than this (and they don't have to to make profit), and you're probably grossly overestimating them by thinking anything can happen by just clicking on the link. And I think this thread would have been more useful with the link.
To me, they also seem harmless, but... they wouldn't be around if they weren't making any profit, would they?

Have a nice day/night (whatever you have right now),

Katarzyna
Collapse

Ninon Dion
Canada
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No bomb will explode or anything Dec 4, 2013

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:

I don't believe these people are able to come up with anything more than this (and they don't have to to make profit), and you're probably grossly overestimating them by thinking anything can happen by just clicking on the link. And I think this thread would have been more useful with the link.
To me, they also seem harmless, but... they wouldn't be around if they weren't making any profit, would they?

Have a nice day/night (whatever you have right now),

Katarzyna

Like I wrote in my previous message, I think the link was harmless, but since it appeared to cause some scare, I didn't feel like being responsible for anyone sending their information to an obvious scam website.

Thank you for your input Katarzyna

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
Local time: 04:34
French to Dutch
+ ...
Now that you've deleted the URL Dec 4, 2013

and other indications, we don't know against what we are warned...

Ninon Dion
Canada
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's in the title Dec 4, 2013

Hi there,

If you do a search based on my title you should find what this is about.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:34
Member (2008)
Italian to English
no Dec 4, 2013

NinonD wrote:

Anyone else received an email in regards to the following?

EDITED for deletion of URL.

The appearance of the website is strangely similar to those marketing schemes that have been around for years.
I'm curious to know what they invented in order to scam people.

[Edited at 2013-12-04 06:41 GMT]

I haven't received anything but if I do, I shall bin it immediately, for the simple reason that anyone who writes "Real Translators Jobs" is obviously a scammer who does not even have a command of elementary English.

[Edited at 2013-12-04 20:21 GMT]

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:34
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
What, you don’t think they are real? Dec 4, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

I haven't received anything but if I do, I shall bin it immediately, for the simple reason that anyone who writes "Real Translators Jobs" is obviously a scammer who does not even have a command of elementary English.

You mean that a message that states (among other things):

There are hundreds of companies right now searching for people that can speak two languages. It doesn't matter what language you speak...

... even if you don't have any previous experience, you could still start making money right away! ...

You can get paid ... as soon as the job is completed!

may sound a bit fishy?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone else received an email about "Real Translators Jobs" ?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »