Thread poster: Olivier Den Hartigh

Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:54
Member (2014)
English to French
Jan 30, 2014

Hi,

A couple of days ago, I answered a ProZ job offer untitled "law translation project" from a Falco Davide, who became a Proz member very recently.
I received this answer:

"Dear Olivier,

Thank you for your word of advise. I have had a bad translator in the past and i believe you are right. It's not about the price but to have a good translation that matters. I hereby attach the file, kindly check, confirm your deliver date and total charges.

I look forward to hear from you."

What got me suspicious was:
1 The tone used. I'm quite happy with people agreeing with me, but it's done so willingly, so cheerfully.
2 The email address used: a hotmail address with a number : prtol88@ ...
3 No signature, no address, no tel number
4 I googled the text to be translated. 13 pages extracted from a law text. The text was an excerpt and where it ended just didn't make sense. It was cut in the middle of a paragraph. (where's the rest of the text?)
5 The name of the job offerer: falco davide can't be found anywhere on the web

Anyway, I sent an email asking where they were located and never received any answer. That says it all.

This morning, there's another job : http://www.proz.com/job/856111
"Looking for French language expert"
Job description:
I have a well structured and accurately worded text to be translate English into French.

Freelancers are welcome but only experienced,skilled ones and Native

Only those people need apply who are able to provide quality service.

1 Email address is still a yahoo address.
2 Same job posted on translatorscafe, but this time, it's from English into German.
3 "well structured and accurately worded text". What is that?
4 "Only those people need apply who are able to provide quality service.". Really? You're telling me if I'm not providing quality service, I should refrain myself and not contact you. What a shame! My point is: does not sound right.
5 name of the job offerer can't be found anywhere, joined Proz and translatorscafe this month and is also an italian name.

I believe this is the same guy as it looks like the same modus operandi. Anyway, if anybody out here is currently translating a 13 page text, please stop. You are being conned.

Anyway, I might be wrong about this, but I don't think I am. Watch out.

Olivier den Hartigh
English to French Translator @ www.extraspeech.com
Extra Speech ★ One Language Leads to Another ★

Direct link Reply with quote

Alejandro Cavalitto
Local time: 02:54
SITE STAFF
Thanks for reporting this Jan 30, 2014

Hello Olivier,

Thanks for reporting this. Both situations you report seem to be scams, and action has been taken for both of them. I have also removed the job posting you mention and contacted all those who submitted a quote to warn them. Thanks for your help in making the site more secure for everyone.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search