John Morgan - did anybody work with him?
Thread poster: Julia Vanina
Jan 31, 2014

We did 2 big projects for John Morgan. When I asked for payment, he stopped responding my emails. I called his phone number +442035147238, he responded and said it was a wrong number. Please anybody who ever worked with him or know his contact information, please respond.
Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:20
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
No Jan 31, 2014

Hi, hope someone who worked with him, answers. I did not & never heard about him. Did you check before working with him? Has he any entries? You could have asked for a down payment if the work was vast, or got paid for the first job first, before doing the second one. Hope it turns out well for you. You need to take more care when handling big jobs.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:20
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Scammer? Jan 31, 2014

Julia Vanina wrote:

We did 2 big projects for John Morgan. When I asked for payment, he stopped responding my emails. I called his phone number +442035147238, he responded and said it was a wrong number. Please anybody who ever worked with him or know his contact information, please respond.
Thank you!

If you do a Google search on the name and telephone number, you get a whole load of hits from a scam directory. This thread really should be moved to the scam forum.

Julia Vanina
TOPIC STARTER
Scams Jan 31, 2014

He probably is. He sent the first translation project and was very responsive. I found hin on Proz - he has presentable appearance, a man of about 60 years old. After the second project was done, he stopped answer8ng our emails.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

You have been scammed, evidently Jan 31, 2014

The phone number you quote belongs to a hotel, see http://tinyurl.com/o3g2d5d

Moreover, John Morgan who is ProZ.com member is located in a different country, and his phone number (a completely different one!) is available in his CV.

It is advisable to check your outsourcer before accepting any jobs, not after.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
please warn the member with that name Jan 31, 2014

This could be seriously damaging and he needs to be aware of it. At least he can add a warning to his profile. Staff should be informed too.

Can't do it myself - I'm moving house today!

Bas Oostdijk  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Wasn't paid either Feb 11, 2014

I commented earlier, but my post was not accepted because it included personal data of this 'client'. In any case, my partner completed a project for this client and never received payment. Client stopped replying to emails altogether and the phone number he gave us is always busy (it's a different one). If anyone in the future would want to check if they're dealing with the same John Morgan feel free to contact me to compare details (providing he doesn't change them again).

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
A lazy scammer Feb 11, 2014

He even didn't take the bother to fake up a unique name. This combination of first and last name is way too common, like a Meiling Wang in Chinese.

I would be immediately suspicious if the client has such a name.

notvalid16
United Kingdom
Abkhazian to Afar
John Morgan - John Thayes - one in the same? Mar 28, 2014

I have just been approached by John Thayes for an urgent translation from Italian into English. approx 8k words. Having been caught out by John Morgan earlier in the year, I am extra wary.
The approach and contact have been the same as that I received from John Morgan, including the payment leadtime. If this JohnThayes is genuine, then hope I am not doing John Thayes a dis-service, if I am I apologise now , but beware! He sent me an address which looks like a shop in London and the London telephone number sent was not correct. Fore warned is fore armed.

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
As I have pointed out plenty of times Mar 29, 2014

if both the first name and the last name of the client are way too common, it is very likely that it is a scammer. The scammer is not that professional in that he is even lazy to come up with a more convincing combination of first and last names.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

John Morgan - did anybody work with him?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search