Thread poster: Vera Schoen

Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:08
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 5, 2014

I just received a call from a woman claiming she called from Windows technical department about my computer being full of viruses and that she would/wanted to help me fix the problem.

It sounded very fishy and she was very insistent, but I managed to get rid of her at last. Looks like this is an old scam, but I had never heard of it before and I just wanted to warn those of you who are unaware of this type of scam.

Here is a link to an interesting text about the scam and how the scammers work:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/i-am-calling-you-from-windows-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/

Vera

Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:08
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Feb 5, 2014

Half-believable, since Windows machines are often found to be full of malware

Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:08
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quite right Feb 5, 2014

That's why it took me a while to realize it was a scam, it could be perfectly true. Except, of course, the anonymous phone call and the Indian accent.

Vera

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:08
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
It's been going on for years Feb 5, 2014

This is a well-known scam that's been going on for years. The caller tries to persuade you to let them into your computer, installs viruses and then charges you for removing them! Nice ...
I still get these calls occasionally so I suppose the scam must work for them sometimes.
Just put the phone down.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Call from "Windows techical department"

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search